Floppy Drive noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
When I ran diskscan this evening on my XP, my floppy drive started to make a grinding noise while the scan disk was running. I stopped the computer and restarted it, and the noise continued. I inserted a disk and it made a noise like it tried to read it, and remember that scandisk was running. When i took the disk back out, the noise continued. What would be causing that noise? it stopped once the computer ended scandisk and rebooted. This has happened before on me, twice. IS there a fix i'm overlooking? I never use the drive anyways, could I just unplug the powersource and unplug it from the motherboard? If i do unplug it, I just then disable the floppy drive in the device manager.....right? I have no idea, i just know it's making noise, and I really dont even need it anymore. what should I Do?

ok, i just may do that...is there a good link that could teach me a thing or two about the BIOS? I know what it is, I just have never been into my bios before.

ok, so i went into the BIOS and I could not find where to disable the floppy controler. The ONLY place in the BIOS that i found anything about the Floppy controler was under the boot section, and it was the 2nd option under the boot section. I disabled it, and saved the changed and restarted, but the icon was still there under MY Computer and I stuck a disk in and it was able to read it. So i went back in and re-enabled it, since it didn't work. Other than that place, there was no place for me to disable it. Could I just disable it under Device manager, and then unplug ir from the power source and the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom