Dell OptiPlex GX270 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Joshly

Baseband Member
Hey,
I am having some serious problems with this Dell, and I am wanting to try and repair this, but Dell's confuse me. Anyway, here's the lowdown:

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX270, 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 (HT), 512 MB of DDR RAM (2x256MB), and I thought I may as well use this, as it's CPU is much better than my 1.7 GHz Celeron. It didn't have a hard drive, so I added a 15 GB Quantum Fireball lct 10 (I know it's old, but I may as well use it). I started it up, and everything seemed ok. So I put in my Windows XP Home Edition install disk, and started to install Windows XP. It got just past Installing network, and then it came up with a BSOD, and the stop error was 0x0000007a. So I opened up the computer and did the most obvious things I could do, I reseated the RAM, started it up, and it came up with a amber/orange light on the power button. Now I know that this meant that there was a problem with the hardware in it somewhere, so I unplugged the hard-drive, removed the CPU Fan and Heatsink, then removed the CPU, then put the CPU back in, put the heatsink and fan back in, reconnected the hard-drive, and put the RAM back in. This time it started up fine. It got back to installing Windows, except this time, it made weird grinding noises coming from inside the computer, and it just freezes about 5 seconds after the grinding noises. I still do not know what this noise was coming from, but I suspect it may be the hard-drive. This is currently where I am stuck.
Please help
Many Thanks

Although.. It could be the mobo, in which case there is no point in replacing it, and I should just sell the CPU and RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom