Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed Vista 5744. Special thanks to Makaveli.

1. I love the fact that every driver comes installed when you use it. I had to install my sound drivers and wireless drivers, but they're pretty unkown to start with.

2. On my machine, Vista runs flawlessly, even on integrated video. The effects run nicely, no lagging at all. I actually find it faster than XP :D

3. Only one problem; Internet Explorer 7. I don't like it at all. It never seems to load up properly.

Tour Vista's new UI
If you have yet to get a look at Vista and its completely redesigned User Interface, then Computerworld will be happy to give you a grand tour of highlights.

The first thing you might notice upon loading Windows Vista for the first time is the new Welcome screen, shown in Figure 3.1, which replaces the XP Welcome screen. (If you're running Vista with just a single user account and no password, you won't see the Welcome screen;

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003926

hmm i just started downloading vista and when i ran the program to check compatibility it came up with 3 problems:
1)vista doesn't support high definition audio
2)doesnt think i have a dvd drive (i do)
3)Power dvd 6 doesnt work with vista

i should be able to fix these fairly easily tho, but i dont know if ill be able to get the drivers for my onboard audio cause i think it only has hd

Keep everything in sync with Windows Vista's Sync Center
If you have files stored on two computers or on a computer and mobile devices that you need to keep synchronized, then you know how frustrating it can be to have to use several different software packages with different user interfaces for each of your synchronization operations. Fortunately, Microsoft realizes that there is a much stronger emphasis on synchronization. They've endowed Windows Vista with a new tool called Sync Center which is designed to work as a centralized location for all of your synchronization operations.

Microsoft has endowed Windows Vista with a new tool called Sync Center which is designed to work as a centralized location for all of your synchronization operations.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6125762.html

Microsoft has taken down the RC2 release after reaching its target of 200,000 downloads in less than 72 hours. Links to it in this post now point to the general Vista web page. However, torrents of RC2 are available everywhere.

In this article from APC Tim Garden shares his experiences on installing Windows Vista RC2 on an Intel Mac using the recent update to Boot Camp. His conclusion: Wait for Leopard. It is widely rumoured to include built-in virtualisation that will make this whole performance redundant. If, on the other hand, you are a masochist, or a chronic new-OS experimenter, by all means install Vista RC2 onto your Mac.

http://www.apcstart.com/site/tgaden...tall-vista-rc2-on-an-intel-mac-with-boot-camp

Windows Vista To 'RTM' Oct. 25
Microsoft could be ready to release Windows Vista to manufacturing as early as next week, a milestone that would signify the end of a protracted development process. It could also set the company on a course to launch the operating system at the huge International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where Chairman Bill Gates is to deliver the opening keynote Jan. 7.

"9 Days Until Vista RTM!!!" read a scrolling electronic reader board in a building on Microsoft's Redmond campus Monday. If the countdown is correct, it would mean Vista is to be released to manufacturing (RTM) on Oct. 25, earlier than analysts expected. Other than to reiterate that Vista is on track, a Microsoft spokesman had no comment on the reader-board message, which was visible from the lobby of Building 9, where part of the Windows Vista team works.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2003308276_vista17.html

January 07.

When you see computers at Best Buy with the "Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista Capable", doesn't mean that they can handle the glass effect. Mine handles the glass effect, but I upgraded the memory. Vista capable means that you can use the classic XP effect, which is a waste of Vista.

For some reason, I'm not all that excited about Vista. They're all making this big party about it coming out in the near future, and I saw the screenshots on the Microsoft Corporation homepage and it's not all that special.

Now, I might change my mind soon. I like my computer. It's a pretty good machine and has more than the requirements for Vista :]

But I must give Microsoft credit. Vista DOES look pretty "future-looking"

talldude123 said:
January 07.

When you see computers at Best Buy with the "Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista Capable", doesn't mean that they can handle the glass effect. Mine handles the glass effect, but I upgraded the memory. Vista capable means that you can use the classic XP effect, which is a waste of Vista.

~sigh~

look people, vista is NOT just about the aero glass effect

check out some of the other features:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/default.mspx

I am looking forward to the "ready boost" feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom