Functional but Heat Damaged Components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circumflex

Beta member
Recently the fan on my NB Chipset went out on a MSI K8N Neo4 unbeknownst to me. I ran the computer at much higher tempertures than I would assume normal for general operation. When I finally downloaded and installed a temperature monitoring program on a whim, I found my processor temperature to be idling at 60°C or around 150°F. Apparently the chipset was generating so much heat without its cooling fan it was raising the temperature of the CPU. The Chipset was getting so hot it would actually burn me if I touched it for to long. Ive recently affixed my chipset with a heatsink and temperutes hold between 30° - 37°C or 85°F - 100°F for the CPU and overall Case temperature. The only problem is now if I plug a thumb drive into a USB2.0 port on my computer it will download a 300Mb file from it at increadibly slow speeds, sometimes taking as long as 10 mins.

I believe either my CPU or Motherboard have been damanged in someway by the heat and now have impaired functions, I am unsure of which though. Does anyone have any ideas?

And before you ask I assure you I have exhausted all other possiblities for the slow USB speeds, I also knotice spooky but unspecific performance hickups now and then although for the most part the computer runs normally (except of course the USB speeds).

You said you have slow usb speeds via thumb drive? How do you know its the MoBo? I'm geussing you tested the thumb drive on another computer as well as a different usb drive, and different usb ports.

Sounds like the usb is running at the old 1.x specs, and would account for the low speeds. If you really did cook that function off your mobo then the only fix I could suggest would be to buy a pci usb card if you really use usb alot. Replacing the motherboard is too much cost, time, and effort if thats the only complaint with it.

Ok some things to check out here, first off check to see if you have a driver conflict in the device manager(Goto start > run > type 'devmgmt.msc') USB stuff is at the bottem. Expand the USB info at the bottem and tell me what the first 2 lines are in that list. Lastly search MSIs web site for new usb drivers, install them and prey.

Everything seems to be in right order I downloaded the drivers previously before this post and the Device Manager is reporting that there are no conflicts and all USB devices are "working properly". At this point Im kind of looking for a reason to replace the MoBo. Ive not been satisfied with this one, especially the fan on the Chipset, I only managed to rig up the heatsink I bought for the chipset because of its location, makes it nearly impossible to to put anything over half an inch tall on the **** thing. I was looking at this board:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1645240&CatId=1569

Fits all the other hardware I would salvage and like the setup but I dont know much about asus.

Asus is a good MoBo manufacture, alot of people use them. If you buy that board make sure you have airflow going over that passive heatsink there. Make sure your heatsink won't interfere with the ram, as the ram is fairly close to the socket.

USB could have been set to the lower speed in bios, but it seems the biggest problem with the board is you just don't like the design, so by all means change it. Ohh and in the device manager if it says something about 'Enhanced' USB host controller, then that means windows is suppose to recognize it as a USB 2.0 controller

I'm thinking theres some damage to the chip on the MoBo as even 1.1 full speed is 12Mbps, which equils around 4-5 minites realistic for a 300MB file. Low speed(1.5Mbps) would be 27-28 minites. High speed 2.0(480Mbps) unrealistically 5 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom