New computer Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skodster

Solid State Member
This is a long one. Please sit comfortably!

I have a new build computer which is one month old. The spec is as follows;

KN1-SLi Lite motherboard
PNY GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCIe
2gb DDR 400 Ram
350gb SATA hard drive
AMD Athlon 3800mhz dual core CPU
600w Arctic PSU
DVD RW
CD RW
3 1/2 floppy
Windows XP Home SP1

The problem is that it crashes back to bootup when there is a reasonably high load like FS2004 or a USB file transfer to my backup device. The strange thing is that this only happens when the computer has been running for 15-20 minutes. I have monitored the temperature which is cool and the voltages are stable so it is definately NOT a voltage or heat problem.

I have all the latest drivers and have flashed the BIOS to the latest version. I have had it running with Ntune installed and uninstalled.

Here is the strange thing. Windows reports 2gb Ram but when I go into Ntune to see the RAM spec, it reports two sticks at 512mb in dimm's 0 and 1 and two sticks at 256mb in 2 and 3. What's this all about?

The other odd thing is that I have tried to install Sandra Lite but it won't run.

The whole computer is behaving strangely and not consistantly.

Any idea's???

Just one other thing. Has anyone got this combination of components? Can you send over the BIOS settings?

Have you tried resetting your ram, and if so have you ran mem86. Sound like bad memory to me. Say if you load up a memory intense program like FS2004, and it tries to use the memory that is thinks that you have, and it cant. So windows freaks out and then it will shutdown or reboot, whatever. So I suggest that you run a memory test. See if that identifies your problem, and if not, we can work from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom