Can I??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePB3

In Runtime
I Have a Dell and it has 1 gig ram and it has a P4 2.40 Ghz. I was wondering if i could take that out and for more speed put either celeron 2.50 or my P4 2.66. Will it fry if i insert a new cpu????

Probably not, I've installed several Dell laptop cpus, they're remarkably upgradable laptops. You'll just need to the find Dell Part number that the proper cpu will use. Try this site out:
http://www.impactcomputers.com/dellparts.html
or the Dell support forums and then buy the cpu off of ebay. Dell almost always has service manuals available on their website.
All you'll need to know is the model number of your laptop and you'll be good.

the thing is its a desktop, and i said those two because i have them in my possession i just wanted to see if i could pop them in and out and see if i notice speed increase
i dont want to destroy my comp, i want to know if i have to do more then just take the one out and put the others ones i took out of other comps in

Neither would fry it unless they're a different pin count and you jam em in or something.

Check the chipset on the motherboard to make sure it can support the upgraded processor FSB. Dell's website should have the appropriate information, though I'd imagine those 3 procs would all run the same FSB. Even if the motherboard didn't support it, it would toast anything, it just would run slower, or possibly not at all.

Don't use the Celeron though, it'd actually run slower than the 2.4 P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom