Socket 939 or AM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
Just upgrading my CPU and motherboard now, but don't know whether to go with the new AM2 platform or not, is there any real advantage with going with it? Id prefer to stay away as the DDR2 memory seems to be fairly pricey and for 2gb of it your up for a pretty penny.
I've already decided on buying an Asrock dual Pci-e/AGP motherboard cause I can't really afford to upgrade the gfx card at the same time. So any suggestions?

Michael.

AM2 isn't really an improvement from 939. It's basically the same except with DDR2 memory. You can go 939 and just use your current ram that you have.

nitestick said:
i agree with b1gapl. you may as well go with s939 in this case. however you may be interested in investigating the new Intel Core 2 processors, you might not be aware that they are more powerful than the Athlon 64 (K8) in that they are more efficient and also reach higher clock speeds

Core 2 isn't in his option list,He's in the same boat as me by the look's of it,He's wanting to use his agp card still cause he don't have the money to upgrade to a new vid card - ram and what ever else.

Shumway said:
Core 2 isn't in his option list,He's in the same boat as me by the look's of it,He's wanting to use his agp card still cause he don't have the money to upgrade to a new vid card - ram and what ever else.

Yup that's pretty much right, I'm actually looking at getting an AGP Radeon X850GTO soon, cause I get one fairly cheap, but anything beats my FX5200 lol.
Yeah I've already had a look at the new Intel's they look nice, but again I don't really the money to spend on that.
Also, cause I'm getting an AMD socket 939, I wanted something with about 2.4ghz base speed (Then I can overclock it to 2.8ghz or so), also what is the next step up from 2.4? 2.6 or 2.8? and it has to have a 1mb cache

ahhh, i'm sorry then. i can definitely understand monetary issues :D. last year i upgraded from a Pentium 133MMX to a PII-400 before i could finally get enough money for my current pc. though you should know you can get boards with AGP and DDR support that support Core 2 Duo processors also!!! perhaps worth looking into if you would like a Core 2 Processor but are concerned you can't upgrade motherboard, memory, video card and processor.

how much am i looking at for the core duo 2's? like the same spec as a AMD? i.e. 2.4ghz with a 1mb cache?

well looking around it seems i was mistaken and some i865g boards do support conroe though Intel's info on the chipset didn't say so.

an e6600 would easily eclipse an Athlon 64@2.4GHz and even one at 2.6GHz. have a look around at prices if you're interested. i wouldn't say i'm the foremost forum expert on Core 2 on the forum so hopefully someone else will post :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom