Will this case/PSU support my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
I have an ok system that I like to take to LAN parties, however it is in a full sized server case so its hudge and it weighs a ton.

System Specs:

250gb WD HDD
AMD 3700+ Athlon 64
2gb DDR 400
ATI x1900xt 512mb
MSI Neo4-F Socket 939
MSI 500 watt PSU
Sony DVD+/-RW
Sony DVD-Rom
Sony Floppy Drive

Well anyway I want to get a Micro-ATX case and a Micro-ATX motherboard (Because obviously my ATX one will be useless).

I've looked at a bunch of Micro-ATX cases online and my absolute favorite is the Aspire X-Qpack:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144161

Plus this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813186085

Well anyway, I'm not sure if the 420 watt PSU that comes with this case would be enough power to support my system. Also I dont think my 500 watt PSU would fit in there because that case needs one of those small form factor PSUs I think.

So can my system run on in that case using it's stock PSU, and if not could I take some parts out of my system to reduce its power consumption to make the case/PSU useable, and if that doesnt work, does Newegg or any other website sell more powerfull PSUs that are compatible with that case?

The Height by Width of the PSU is standard ATX, however they shrank the length of it down to make it fit. Just look at the pictures... the psu is not a typical standard ATX.

That's the first thing I did was look at the picture. Its a standard ATX power supply. If it wasn't the standard ATX size they wouldn't say ATX power supply. ATX is a standard which means if it wasn't the ATX dimensions then it wouldn't be called an ATX psu. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that. ;)

*Edit - That is an 80mm fan in the middle It sure looks full size to me, And Apevia's site also calls it an ATX Psu.

http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=176

xqpackbk11250xy9.jpg

Take a close look at that PSU:

11-144-161-12.jpg

jjj.jpg

Just look at that PSU... you can't possibly say that is the size of your standard ATX PSU?

*Edit - That is an 80mm fan in the middle It sure looks full size to me, And Apevia's site also calls it an ATX Psu.

Yes it does have an 80mm fan in the middle. Most ATX PSUs have room for a 120mm fan in the middle. This one barely has room for the 80mm let alone a 120mm.

Listen I am not going to argue with you, It says ATX power supply that means it is an atx power supply (IN ALL WAYS) That is by know means a small case. Why don't you fire off an email to them and see what they say.

Ok, lets just stop arguing about if its standard ATX or not.

What I need to know is if I use that stock 420 watt PSU that comes with the case, will 420 watts be enough to power my system?

I emailed them for you this is my question

Hi I am going to buy an X-QPACK-BK/420 case like this one
http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=176
And I have a few questions

Will the PSU handle a system with these specs

250gb WD HDD
AMD 3700+ Athlon 64
2gb DDR 400
ATI x1900xt 512mb
MSI Neo4-F Socket 939
MSI 500 watt PSU
Sony DVD+/-RW
Sony DVD-Rom
Sony Floppy Drive

Does this case accept a standard ATX power supply. And will the atx power supply I already have fit into this case.

Thanks in advance

This is their response

1.All standard size Micro ATX motherboards will fit into this case. If you try

to remove motherboard from name brand systems such Dell, HP or Compaq, mostly

they won't fit.

2.CPU cooler:not exceeds 2.85" height.

3.Video Card:The case will take Video Card up to 10" in length.

4.You can use standard size ATX PSU, 150mm x 145mm x 86mm (5.9" x 5.7" x 3.4") -

W x L x H. Just make sure your 5.25" drives are short versions(Lite-On and some

Sony drives are short version), otherwise they won't fit. I believe these days

most of the 5.25" drives are short versions. Also keep in mind, it is going to

very tight fit.

you have to make sure what is the power requirement of your new system.

i just got that case for my brother and the psu wasnt quite as big as a regular atx but it wokrs in an atx case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom