Music Ripping Making comp Slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T88SupraStyle

In Runtime
OK so i have a compaq presario SR1750NX. Everytime i try ripping a cd to my harddrive, the computer starts slowing down. Like absolutley amazingly slow. The mouse starts skipping and the sound starts slowing down and windows pop up slow when i click on them. I have called HP and they have told me to Format my hard drive. I am not sure if i want to do that because just like any other person i have important files and such. I have tried reinstalling windows media player, reinstalling speaker software. Are there any ways to try to fix this? Please help.

Thanks in advance

Very odd. Because you have a very powerful computer, according to HP.

There could be many possibilities:

1. Your optical drive is set to cable select (set it to master or slave, depending on configuration). I have found cable select to make things run very slowly.

2. Your CD drive is just dying. Time for a new one.

3. Try using a different program to rip music. What are you currently using?

1. Is there any way to change that setting for the optical drive? If so i will try that. I just need to know where and how to do it.

2. I have actually thought about calling HP to send me a new cd drive because i have considered replacing the cd drive to see if that is what is wrong.

3. I am using windows Media player 11, I have tried Windows Media player 10 and i have also tried Real Player.

You know how to open the case right?

More than likely it's pretty easy. Mine is just one handscrew and a latch, yours may be different.

Open up the case, unscrew the optical drive, disconnect all cables (make sure you know where they go for the future), and at the back of the drive, you will see little pinholes and a white thing. Sorry, i can't describe it that well, here's a pic:

harddriveadj-jumper.jpg

Do that exactly, and make sure it's set to Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom