memory multipliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
can someone explain this to me?
i am looking at an amd 5000+ and a 4600+. i have read that the 5000+ has a multiplier of 7, and the 4600+ has a multiplier of 6.
i have also read that an even number is better than an odd.
i don't know the difference...help?
i will not overclock it or anything, will be running at stock speed.
is this true about the multipliers?
oh and by the way, the ram is 2 sticks of 1gb at 533 mhz.
can someone instruct me as to which of these will perform better?
thanks in advance.

edited due to lack of useful (or civil) content

there is no need for this. if you want people to help then you had best listen to their suggestions rather than disregard them. quite frankly this attitude.....well sucks. DO NOT post again like this. he gave an honest answer albeit a little tactless so to rant is uncalled for.

ok. ok. hold on. hes not biased. its true conroe is better. conroe is a core 2 duo. stop getting mad at saint for reccomending a core 2 duo, because that is what i would reccomend also. the core 2 duo is fast because of its archictecture. here is a link to the core 2 duo's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0001157+1050722265&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343
u said u wanted numbers right, here are graphs/charts to show the performace of core 2 duos and x2's
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2014650,00.asp
saint did not give you an expensive fix to your problem. there are high end and budget core 2 duo's. even the cheapest core 2 duo the e6300, is fast. so stop assuming that core 2 duos are bad, and that saint is biased because he reccomended a conroe. and last of all you should not get mad at saint because you dont even know what the heck a CONROE is!!!! i bet u didnt even know what a WINDSOR is.

thanks for the info. i am not mad at saint, i asked a question and got an answer that had nothing to do with said question.
and so i used sarcasm myself. my inquiry about conroe...it's a town in texas. lighten up.
get off your ivory tower too, senor. conroe is the intel name for its current core 2 duo cpu's, and windsor is the amd name for it's current x2 lineup with the am2 socket.
so, heck... i guess you're not the only one who can READ and actually retain information. so you lose your bet.
jeez.
and judging by the readings i've done, the e6300 only performs better than the 4600+ (and really the 5000+) if it is OVERCLOCKED...read above. i'm not going to overclock my cpu, i don't want to...maybe if i knew what i was doing and was comfortable that i wouldn't melt everything. but i'm not. and the e6300 is the cpu in the same price bracket of the amd's that i am looking at.
so, once again...
can someone, anyone, just answer my question about the multiplier? that was my question... not, "should i buy amd or intel?"
thanks.

nagasama said:
i have also read that an even number is better than an odd.

Where do you get that? As far as I know, it doesn't matter. Just get the best CPU you can afford, don't worry about the multiplier, specially if you're not overclocking.

actually i read that in a comparison of the 4600+ and a 5000+, on some web review...i can't remember if it had to do with overclocking or not.
but thanks for answering my question nicely you two fellas.
now, another question that you have probably heard before...
hypothetically...i'm not going to overclock.
so, at around the same price would i be better off going with the higher end 4600+ or 5000+, or the lower end e6300? by "better off, i mean STOCK performance-wise here fellas. these three are all about the same price. and as far as i know, i can still oc the amd a little if i so choose....but i do know the c2d (especially the 6300) is an overclocking monster. just not my cup of tea.
by the way, another reason i am interested in the amd over intel is because (based on my reading, once again) i believe the am2 socket can be used with the quad core amd processors that are (murkily) being talked about to combat the conroe.
stop the madness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom