Windows Update Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjf314

In Runtime
Earlier today, I tried to upgrade from a release candidate version of IE7 to the final version. During the installation process, it removed my RC build of IE7 and started to install the new version. However, during the installation, something got messed up and I got an error screen saying that something wasn't found and couldn't be updated, or something to that effect. So now I'm stuck with IE6, but it gets even worse. When I rebooted my machine, Windows Updates found something for me to install. I went to install it, and I got a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error. So now I'm stuck with IE6 and I can't download security updates. What the heck is going on? The Microsoft Crash Analysis page came up with something for me to install to solve the Generic Host Process error, but installing it doesn't fix anything. Any ideas what I should do?

possibly a repair, or uninstall ie6 and then reinstall it, then run some cleanup tools like ccleaner and see what happens

I tried to do a System Restore (I probably should've mentioned that in my first post, but I forgot) but it didn't change anything.

I reinstalled IE6 and ran CCleaner. After this, the automatic update still wouldn't work. However, after doing this, I could go to the Microsoft website, download the exact same update from there, and it worked fine for some reason. I'm not sure if something is wrong with my auto updates, or if it was just that update in particular. I guess I won't find out until the next updates get released.

I was tempted to try installing IE7 again, but I decided just not to bother. Firefox is my main browser anyway, but I just liked having IE7 because it's better than IE6 for when I come across sites that require IE. I'm thinking that the problem may have stemmed from files being removed that shouldn't have been when the IE7 RC was uninstalled. I remember Trotter posting about IE7 doing something like that to him when he tried to uninstall it and go back to IE6, only on a much worse scale since he had to reformat.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

That's what I tried to do. When I ran the file to install IE7, though, the first thing it did was uninstall the RC version. That was the uninstall I was referring to. I didn't uninstall anything myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom