monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

roderz

Solid State Member
i want to replace my old ctx s500 and i want to get a monitor that is good for gaming. i read an article that some monitors cant handle high frame-rates when v-sync is enabled, and my monitor is no exeption. Im wondering if anyone knows any good monitors that are good for gaming and can handle good frame-rates. Also what should i look for when buying a good monitor.

i use a geforce 7600GT if that matters at all.

PS i dont wanna spend over £200 and i would rather have standard rather than widescreen.

A monitor doesn't have anything to do with frame rates.
You probably mean ghosting? LCD's suffer from ghosting, that is why you should get one with the lowest response time possible.

V-Sync is only used to prevent tearing on CRT's. It does not apply to LCD's, it will only result in lower FPS.

If you are on a CRT, and you are experiencing tearing, you can enable V-sync.

The refresh rate of a CRT does not have anything to do with FPS. If your computer is generating 200 FPS, but your monitor is running at 100 Hz, then it will drop 50% of the frames. You will not notice this.

Higher FPS means the game will run smoother (that's why people want higher FPS), regardless of how many you can actually see. Unless your monitor is running at an extremely low refresh rate, like 40-50 or lower.

If you are playing a detailed 3D game on a slow computer, and you are only getting 25 FPS, then it won't be smooth. It will be choppy.
If it wouldn't "lag", but still only display 25 FPS, then it would be relatively smooth (like a movie).

Frame rates always go up and down. With frame rates of 30-50 it may be choppy in some games, but not in others.

Imagine a 3D game with a square room with 4 blue walls, you can move around at 40 fps and it may feel smooth. If you are playing a game with many different textures and effects at 40fps, it will "lag" at some points (eg grenade explosion), so it will not be smooth. If you are getting 200 FPS the frame rate may still drop to below 100 with certain effects, but it will be too high to cause noticable choppy-ness.

i have a LCD TFT monitor and when i have v-sync off, the screen tearing is terrible but the fps is better. i can only go as high as 72hz refresh rate. The frame rate is ok but at the same time it seems to lag a bit, but its not lag as in freeze. i had this with my xbox when i played fable on 60hz.

I thought tearing was only possible on CRT's because CRT's can not change every pixel at the same time.
I don't see how an Xbox can be choppy because your TV is running at 60Hz. I know some PS2 games (like Enter the Matrix) lag, but it is not related to the refresh rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom