Confused About DX10 and VISTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante_Caligari

In Runtime
I am having a little trouble understanding this whole DX10 thing right now.

1. What kind of videocard do you need to be capable to run DX10? I heard that it had to have at least 512MB of video memory, but I am not sure if that is true or not. Will you have to have one of the new generation cards...this mysterious "G80" or ATI's next version of videocard, or will some of the high-end cards of today (like the 7950) work fine?

2. Vista is going to need alot of power. My computer recently died, so I am using that as terms to upgrade. I want to use the version of VISTA that enhances my games, as I am a gamer, and I was thinking about a system like this:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual Core
2GB OCZ, Crucial, Kingston or Corsair DDR500 RAM
Some MSI Motherboard -!-Recommendations PLEASE-!-
Videocard: No idea. I need one that will do DX10 (for Crysis and such), but I do not want to spend 300$ or buy one of the new power-hog monster next-gen cards.

I will not go with Conroe right now, sorry.

3. Windows XP will not be able to use DX10 in any way will it? If so, is there really REALLY any need for me to upgrade to the expensive VISTA. (I am not connected to the internet.)

Thanks guys.

i love my msi board.... u get more memory bandwidth with DDR2 (socket AM2) though :/ i think they can oc higher too
i would recommend getting a conroe... they really do blow amd out of the water right now. i have no quams with my 3800, but when the new ati gfx card comes out in like 4 months (?) i'm def upgrading

i think the g80/R600 (nvidia/ati) cards get released they will be the only dx10 compatable cards.

I am having a little trouble understanding this whole DX10 thing right now.

1. What kind of videocard do you need to be capable to run DX10? I heard that it had to have at least 512MB of video memory, but I am not sure if that is true or not. Will you have to have one of the new generation cards...this mysterious "G80" or ATI's next version of videocard, or will some of the high-end cards of today (like the 7950) work fine?

You will need to have a new G80/R600 card to enjoy the new spangly Direct X10 effects, however games may support direct x 9 cards, you'll just be missing out on alot of things, and will probably have poor performance, even with the most powerful cards now.

2. Vista is going to need alot of power. My computer recently died, so I am using that as terms to upgrade. I want to use the version of VISTA that enhances my games, as I am a gamer, and I was thinking about a system like this:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ Dual Core
2GB OCZ, Crucial, Kingston or Corsair DDR500 RAM
Some MSI Motherboard -!-Recommendations PLEASE-!-
Videocard: No idea. I need one that will do DX10 (for Crysis and such), but I do not want to spend 300$ or buy one of the new power-hog monster next-gen cards.

You say you are a gamer... and you want great performance in upcoming games, then conroe really is the way forward... even the most basic model annihilates the current AMD competition, and is also so much cheaper.

As for a video card, if you want to run crysis smoothly, you're gonna need a G80/R600, at E3, crysis crippled all of the current big players (x1900xtx etc.), and also as I stated before, you will miss out on the Direct X 10 effects.

I will not go with Conroe right now, sorry.

Read the above, it really is worth it, I was an AMD fanboy ^^

3. Windows XP will not be able to use DX10 in any way will it? If so, is there really REALLY any need for me to upgrade to the expensive VISTA. (I am not connected to the internet.)

In short... I dunno, someone else should field this one :)

yea in order to use dx10 you will have to buy one of the next gen cards.
and i think that its stupid not ot go conroe for the price it will rape that 3800.

Lets make this clear

What You Need to play DX 10 Games in DX10 Mode.

• G80/R600 or anyother DX 10 Card
  • Windows VISTA. This is a must.
  • 2 GB of ram
    Lets make this clear
What You Need to play DX 10 Games in DX9 Mode If you wil Not Purchase A DX 10 Card.
  • A DX 9.0c or greater graphics card.
  • Windows Vista with DX 9.L.
  • 2 GB of ram

The Bottom line is If you want to play DX 10 games in DX 10 Mode [Then You must Have a DX 10 GPU, Windows Vista and 2GB Of ram for Optimal Performance.

dx usually confuses people...not that anybody's really wrong :)

Remember, it's like an update package. You won't need a next gen card to use it, but you won't benefit from the hardware aspect of it. You will need a nextgen if you want to benefit from DX10, but not needed to use in conjunction.

Chances are...

If you have Vista, and current high end gpu, that is dx9, you can run Crysis. However, it will look and perform the best on DX10 hardware and drivers.

Re: Re: Confused About DX10 and VISTA

LU4sTrooper said:
You will need to have a new G80/R600 card to enjoy the new spangly Direct X10 effects, however games may support direct x 9 cards, you'll just be missing out on alot of things, and will probably have poor performance, even with the most powerful cards now.

You say you are a gamer... and you want great performance in upcoming games, then conroe really is the way forward... even the most basic model annihilates the current AMD competition, and is also so much cheaper.

As for a video card, if you want to run crysis smoothly, you're gonna need a G80/R600, at E3, crysis crippled all of the current big players (x1900xtx etc.), and also as I stated before, you will miss out on the Direct X 10 effects.

In short... I dunno, someone else should field this one :)

the demo they showed was still pulling out a nice average fps with crysis.. so it pwns any SINGLE solution card out there... not all of us are gonna play with 1 card :p

Thanks guys!

I am a little nervous about switching to Conroe, just because I know nothing about Intel. Help me out? What motherboard should I get, and what processor? I spent 700$ on my last computer, so I have about 500$ to spend right now. (+Money I am selling from old components.)

you could get an E6300 and Gigabyte DS3 (mobo) for around $300-320. that's probably your best bet on the price/performance side of things.

(just for the record if you OCed this to 2.4-2.6Ghz it'd be better than AMD's most expensive card that was 3-4 times more than it is right now. as it is stock 1.8Ghz it'd still be able to compete with a X2 4200 and even the smallest OC will put it around the AMD FX cards.)

you'll also need DDR2 memory if you go conroe or AM2 though so be prepared to spend $200 for 2Gb of value select ram.

Well i just switched from AMD to INtel and before that i had a Pentium 3 733mhz. What was interesting was that my sempron didnt manage to calculate in simulation games such as airline 6 as fast as my P3!
All pentium 4 Ds were crap and the HT and all that was bad. Now that intels got a new leader and a whole new range of products the CPUs are improved and WAY better than AMD (sorry). Through benchmarks it shows that the conroe e6600 beats the Athlon FX62... which cost alot more than the conroe. Dont be shy about Intel now theyre back on track:D
As for the mobo id go for a Asus P5b mobo. You could even go with the conroe 6300 and that would still be really poerwful.
But with that budget the mobo i told you and whats left over spend on your CPU and make sure to get some good ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom