Is this a RAM problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic.nmd

Beta member
I cannot install windows xp pro. A couple of minutes into the installation I get an unexpected restart, either with a blue screen that says a message like IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (sometimes other random messages), or a restart without a blue screen. There is no data on the partition i try to install to, and I've removed all hardware except for the video card (which I know is not the problem), keyboard, and DVD ROM drive. I tried resseting the CMOS, and I tried using both my RAM chips on their own, but no success. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

could be bad ram run memtest:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3257

this version can be run in windows unzip the file to a folder then put the folder on the c: when you have done that go to the command prompt by going star>run and type cmd

once in the command prompt type cd c:\algermemtest\

then it should look like c:\algermemtest\

then type memtest /time 420

that will run memtest for 7 hours.

when finished or during it should tell you of any errors best left running over night.

The other problem it could be is the CPU, open up the case and check the CPU fan is spinning when the pc is on. Also go into the BIOS and check the CPU temps.

You can also download everest the program is in my sig, once installed open it and click computer then sensor and it will display your temps leave your PC on to see if it rises after a few hours and let us know what it says.

EDIT: also there might be more to the BSOD like a bad driver or something if it appears again try to see if anything shows up.

Thanks for your reply. I would run memtest, but because there is no os, and i can't install one, I can't run it!:p I'm running an AMD athalon XP2100+ @ 1.74GHz. It usually runs at 57 degrees C, but on hot days it runs at 60 degrees C. In the past, when the comp had an os, it only occaisionally restarted, but that was even in the cold. Its been fine at 60 degrees C in the past. The fan spins OK as well. But now when I try to install windows, it restarts before it even has time to warm up. Anymore ideas?

Done that, didn't work. Either both chips are stuffed, or its my motherboard or DVD drive, i guess. Its not the windows CD either.

it is a possibilty that both sets of RAM are stuffed, I like to think the mobo is last thing to go I would never try a different one until I had ruled out all other ideas.

I would go back to basics remove all none essentials except RAM, PSU,CPU and graphics. then boot up see how far it gets. If it seems ok then add a hard drive. Try again if that works proceed to attempt an install of XP and so on.

If it still crashes even on the basics then I would try a new ram stick and PSU see if you can lend them off a friend.

If that still courses problems then it very well maybe the motherboard.

I had the same problem reinstalling XP for a friend last week. In the end I opened the side of the pc and used a deskfan to cool the pc down further. Installation worked fine after that. He had an AMD 3200+ chip.

i've had this problem on several machines.

once it was a crappy cdrom, another time was a scratched cd, another was ram and the last was the ram slots (motherboard). but never due to heat.

but i suppose that is possibly because i have never used an amd cpu and i never will :p .

i recommend trying ram off a friend as baronvongogo suggested.

I had this problem with a ABIT NF7 motherboard. At first i managed to get an operating system on there for a few weeks, then it became increasingly unstable and kept giving me bsod's with the same error you mentioned. until eventually it wouldn't post correctly. A friend did have the same mobo and he also had to have the case open to work, it wasn't a heat issue he had though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom