System restore wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripseV

Solid State Member
Hi, i get this error when i click on the system restore: System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, then restore system restore again.

But of course that does nothing.

System restore tab when you right click > properties on my computer trying to turn system restore OFF does the same thing.

How to fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274092/en-us

To resolve this issue, restart the computer. If the error still occurs, search the hard drive for the presence of the Wininit.ini file, and then rename it. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Restart your computer in Safe or DOS Mode.
2. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
3. In the Named box, type wininit.ini.
4. In the Look in box, click Local hard drives, and then click Find Now.
5. Right-click the Wininit.ini file, click Rename, type wininit.xxx, and then click OK.
6. Close the Find Files window, and then run System Restore again.
7. If the previous steps do not resolve the problem, run the following command to repair the damaged portions of your registry:
scanreg /fix

And this is why it happened.

The presence of a Wininit.ini file indicates that there has been an incomplete installation or removal of an application or system update, and system file changes are pending.

Thanks, but I can't start in safe mode, one of the drivers doesn't load and forces reset. And I can't find the file using search, yes i can see hidden.system files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom