Reinstalled Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petef05

Beta member
Ok, other day my pc broke, so I had to reinstall windows....i just installed it over the existing one, had a few different user accounts.

Now I need to know if theres any way I can get access to the other user accounts, so i can take the files i need fom them?

Need more ino? ask.

ty

If you are logged in as Administrator you should have full access to everything. If it gives you an "access deinied" message, simply change their password and log in. Of course then they will know you were there...

I get access denied, but they dont show up in the control panel / user accounts.

Looks like I will need a full format, which I dont want to do cause of the stuff im gonna lose on these*hidden* accounts:S

When you had overwritten the old windows OS, it kept the permissions on the Documents and Settings folder.

The only way you will be able to access those folders is by logging in as Administrator and removing the permissions on the folders. Even creating an account with the same ID and trying to access the folder with that ID isn't going to work.

Also they don't show up in User Accounts because you just installed Windows. When you only overwrite the old Windows, it doesn't take any of your settings/users/applications with it.

You'll have to recreate any users, reconfigure any special settings, and install any applications/games as they won't work. Basically, C:\Windows was removed and a fresh new one put in it's place and that's it.

Pete, if your using XP Home, reboot into safe mode, login as Admin and you'll find the security tab to change the permission there.

keyser09 said:
ya i got same question so if i reinstalled windows to get rid of a hack it would keep my files?

keyser, I suggest you reformat and do a clean install, backup your important file first.

What kind of hack are you talking about? You mean you got hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom