DVD Burner doesn't recognise Blank DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince369

Baseband Member
Hey fellas

I recently upgraded my system and everything was fine till i decided to burn a DVD for a friend.

My DVD can read CDs, DVDs and burn blank CDs but doesn't not recognise a blank DVD

The same problem arose in this thread but it was hijacked and never resolved.

Basically, when i put a blank CD in, it shows 702MB left and 702MB total
When i put in a blank DVD in, it shows 0bytes left and 0bytes total
When i try and burn a DVD anyway [using nero], it says i do not have enough space on the disk

Tests that I have conducted:
-Changing IDE cables
-Swapping DVD with my bro's brand new DVD burner
-Installing drivers from the manufacturer's site
-Uninstalling and reinstalling the hardware/drivers
-Using my DVD burner on 2 other computers

This is what i've come up with so far:
-It is not the IDE cable
-It is not the driver/firmware
-It is not the DVD burner because it works fine on other computers
-Not even my bro's new DVD burner works
-My computer doesn't not recognise a blank DVD

I am not attempting to burn media files of any sort..just pure data files..my bro's dvd burner is competible with -R and +R

any ideas? :(

i've tried everything i can think of and i'm going to call the computer shop tomorrow...my new comp specs are below..cept for a new GPU: 7600GT

thx :mad:

This exact thing happened to me not too long ago. It was because I upgraded the wrong firmware. You need to use caution and try and switch it back to the one you had, some firmware upgrades cannot be fixed and could be permanent. If this is the case then it can be fixed.

Ignore this, I was tired when reading this thread and asked a question you'd already answered. I'll see what I can find out about your problem.

I got my bro's DVD drive to burn a DVD on my comp..which is good. I"m buying a new DVD drive tomorrow because mine's busted...i'll let you know how it goes

I had that problem for a while, and it was my chipset that was being stupid, all I had to do was upgrade it and worked fine. Also make sure that you have the newest firmware for it. That sometimes makes a difference. I couldnt read some media until I upgraded the firmware on my NEC-3550A burner. Good Luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom