Hard Drive Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it does sound bad, but you dont need to resort to that just yet....

there is also the possibilty of your Dimm Slot on your Motherboard at Fault, and NOT the RAM..... This is very easy to test though....

1) if there is more then 1 Ram Stick in the computer, Remove them Both... Put only 1 Back in.. and Run Memtest Again.

2) If you no longer get an error or any problems, Switch the Ram stick with the Other one and Test again. (only 1 Ram Stick my be Bad.)

3) If you encounter Errors with the 1st Ram stick, or with Both... Put the Ram a Different Slot(1 at a time), and Try Memtest again.. If it Doesnt Error Repeat Step(2).... If it doesnt error with Both Ram sticks 1 at a time, that means its the Dimm Slot on the motherboard at fault.... If a Setain Ram stick always Errors though, that Ram stick is Faulty.
---------------------------------------------

Software/viruss, cannot damage Ram.... Time cannot damage Ram, Ram can run Infinatly.

only External physical factors can damage ram, exampls:
) a defect from the manufacterer.
) careless/misshandling by a person(static electricity)
) pyscial damage (hitting/dropping impact)
) electric surge (lighting storm black out)
) and also, if BIOS permits... if a user manualy Sets the wrong Voltage setting for the ram.(does not affect anyone who doesnt manualy change the option.
----------------------------

EDIT: i had my window left open b4 Major posted, so i didn see it...

but yeah, what he said can be the cause too... If you did change any of those settings though, you can easily set them back to default by: going into BIOS, and (Load Optimized Defaults), or physicaly Resetting the CMOS jumper on the MOtherboard.... Either way does the same thing.

TheMajor said:
Optimized Defaults is not the same as Default settings afaik.

what does (afaik) stand for?

and in my experience on my own computers.... Resetting CMOS, and Loading Optimized Defaults, did the same thing.

As Far As I Know

My computer BIOS has an option to load Defaults, and to load Optimized Defaults, so I think it's not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom