Building my parents a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
Hello,

I'm new here. I haven't built a computer for about 4 years. Last time I did I used FAT 32 :) Anyway I'm building my parents a computer now. I'll build myself one when I'm back up to date with the latest greatest. Below is what I'm building they just want to be able to surf internet and play some older games like Spiderman sometimes.

My problem is I'm not sure how much A/Silver 5 to put on the newer AMD CPU's. I use to put a grain of rice size on then smooth it with C/card. Is this still acceptable. I also don't know how to setup SATA on HD's. Don't know much about PCI xpress x16 either I still have AGP. Is setup the same for new CPU's as it was for the old Athlon XP? Should I use NTFS? I'm upgrading them to Win XP Pro.

Thanks

Thermaltake Mambo VC2000BNS Mid Tower Case (Black) Retail - $44.99 - $20.00 rebate - Free Shipping (ZipZoomFly.com)

ECS KN1 Lite 1.0A Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail free with AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3400DAA4BY - OEM - $109.99 + $6.94 sh (Newegg.com)

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model CMX1024-3200 - Retail $114.99 – Free Shipping (Newegg)

Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply - Retail - $39.99 – Free Ship - $10.00 rebate (Newegg)

MASSCOOL 5F521B1M3CG 80mm Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail - $22.49 + sh (Newegg)

MASSCOOL FD12025B1L3/4 120mm Ball Case Cooling Fan - Retail - $5.99 each + sh (Newegg)

PNY VCG66256XPB Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $47.99 + 5.94 – sh (Newegg)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - $5.99 + sh (Newegg)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB Serial ATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer - $59.00 - Free Shipping (ZipZoomFly.com)

Lite-On SOHR-5236V-RET-B 52x Internal DVD-RW Drive – Retail

Microsoft Windows XP Pro Professional 64-Bit - OEM

Oh and did I forget anything?

Looks good... Just use the same amount of thermal compund as you did when you built your last computer... it hasnt changed :)

Thanks for reply please answer the rest of my questions and anything else you can add.

Thanks

Is setup the same for new CPU's as it was for the old Athlon XP?

Yep, just more power. [cue the Tim Alan grunt track]

Should I use NTFS?

I'm pretty sure that's what XP uses.

Don't know much about PCI xpress x16 either I still have AGP.

Works the same, just a different interface. Some PCI-E cards require a power connection.

I also don't know how to setup SATA on HD's.

Unless you are setting up a RAID, there's not really anything to know. SATA doesn't use jumpers for master and slave, instead it goes by which drive is plugged into the number one position.

I'm not a fan of the 64-bit version of xp, lots of driver/software issues from what I've seen. Not good for mainstream users. Stck to the 32-bit version for now.

Oh man, That is not good news about the XP 64bit. I already bought it. It's too late to send it back. I have to build this thing or my parents will lose out on their rebates for some of the hardware I bought. Micro should be coming out with fixes right? ;)

Man, I told my parents I was building them a fast computer with no major bottlenecks. Now what?

tell them you didn't research the products you were using properly and that you made a mistake and you've learned a big lesson from it and you'll never do it again.

or you can tell them you lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom