firewall and internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogsdhs

Baseband Member
Hey I am having trouble with my internet and with the firewall. I used to be able use the internet and check mail in oulook express but after downloading firewalls (zone alarm) i can't use the internet anymore. I tired turning it off and and uninstalling but it still won't work. When I open up a browser, i just get this blank page like when you have no connection. I can still use the internet using programs like AIM and Kazza.
I also have a anti-virus program (norton anti-virus 2003) about the same time I got the firewall. I tried turning it off and uninstalling but it still won't work! I don't know what the problem is.
Oh yea, when uninstalling I kind of did it wrong. There was like no unistalling program that came with the program so I went to the control pannel and did the "add/remove program" but it would'nt unistall. Like I can't even click "remove". My firewall and anti-virus are good copies. I have window 2000 and XP. Both stoped working with the same problem. It used to work but now it dosen't!

maddogsdhs said:
Oh yea, when uninstalling I kind of did it wrong. There was like no unistalling program that came with the program so I went to the control pannel and did the "add/remove program" but it would'nt unistall.

What I would do is install the applications, then uninstall them. Sometimes you need key files to uninstall correctly, and if they are missing or corrupted, the uninstall will not work properly.

Also, removing a program from the Add/Remove Programs applet in the control panel is not the "wrong way." It does exactly the same thing as clicking on the uninstall of a program.

Let us know how it goes.

I use Add/Remove Plus 2003 to remove my programs
also, have you checked the 'programs' list in the firewall settings to see if it has blocked your email service/s from the internet

There are people out there (you now who you are) who swear both ZA and Norton products never go wrong and are the best thing since sliced bread.............then there are the *enlightened *(been there, done that ..repaired the mess) who avoid all ZA and Symantec apps due to their nasty habit of going belly up....regulary.........guess which camp I'm in?

Try Searching your pc for the True Vector service...then kill it (stop it running in task manager first)....TV is ZA's 'heart' and it keeps running regardless of what you do to ZA. You will also need to clean out your registry (be carefull) of ZA/True Vector entries.

Nav 2003? Great when it works but a royal pain if it starts playing up (which it does). OK.. Nav has a nasty habit of changing dates in XP....so first off check your pc's time and date is correct!

Also check the Event Viewer (both System and Application trees) for clues.

Have you tried rolling back to a time before you installed the junk... errrr sorry..I mean of course...most excellent *security* software?

Thats interesting, I've been using Norton/Symantec products for well over five years now and I haven't experienced problems that a good old fashioned re-install wasn't able to fix.

I do know there is an issue with Norton products when it comes to this, if you go the symantec website you can download the utility you need to completely uninstall Norton/Symantec AV.. just in case you have that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom