Thermaltake Volcano 11 too loud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangaroo

Daemon Poster
I got around to buying an Athlon Barton XP3200+ (2.2GHz) 400fsb. With it I bought a Thermaltake Volcano 11 Xaser Edition or something - it is very loud when the rpm is whacked up but keeps the CPU very cool.

I heard somewhere that if you remove the silver grill from the top of the fan it actually decreases the sound, is this true?

i dont think thats true. Um... try and get sound absorbers. Maybe that will help. with a cpu fan, u cant have a cool cpu and make it be quiet. Unless if you have watercooling..

it does work. I removed it and it no longer makes an annoying high pitch hum, now it just make an annoying high pitched air flow sound.

But at full speed it is nowhere near as annoying. At about 2300rpm I am getting around 40 degrees C when surfing the web and about 45 degrees C when on games.

When I whack it up full it lowers to temp by a few degrees.

Yea, for future reference- I recommend this to ALL owners of the Volcano 11. The grill is pointless in the first place and does NOTHING but create an annoying sound at higher RPMs. Well known fact that Tt screwed up by putting the thing there. They just wanted the logo showing...

Kangaroo said:
II heard somewhere that if you remove the silver grill from the top of the fan it actually decreases the speed, is this true?

YES!!! I got myself one of these heat sinks.

I removed that Xaser Edition fan grill and replaced it with a standard 80mm Fan Finger Guard (aka Fan Grill).
productLarge_2958.jpg

I know that the picture is a 120mm Fan Grill. I have just posted the picture just for representation.

And the reduced the noice quite noticably.

I would no Fan Finger Guard on the fan if it was not for the fact that I have a lot of lose cables inside my PC.

If you really want to quieten your box, then I suggest that you get theThermaltake Silent Boost Series . A customer of mine swears by them. However, they are huge!!!

I have already bought the Volcano 11 and it is quiet enough without the grill - that is as quiet as my system can be with already 7 fans + 1 Volcano 11.
  • 2 PSU fans
  • 4 case fans
  • ATI 9800 Pro GPU fan
  • 1 CPU Volcano 11 Xaser fan
Overall it isn't the most quiet system anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom