Strange computer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedub

In Runtime
Here is the situation. My dad was on his computer when he said that his USB plugin can loose and fell to the bottom of the computer, and he said he seen some sparks. I got the computer to reboot, but the onboard ethernet was not working. I figured maybe that it got shorted out so my dad bought an ethernet card.

After he put it in he said he couldn't get it to boot up, so I checked it out and sure enough just a black screen. You don't even here the beep when it is turned on. Also, the digital output on his video card doesn't seem to work either.

I can't remeber exact specs off hand, but he has an ABIT 939 socket motherboard, with a 3200 Venus chip. The video card is a 6800 GS I believe. Does anyone have any ideas?

superdave1984 said:
Sparks = short = probable board damage.

Which means you will probably at the least swap it out with another Board to see if that is the true Problem.

If you don't want to do that you can do a barebone test.
You detach everything Except CPU, one Stick of RAM and Video card. You then Clear CMOS and Turn it on. If there is no POST. Then Either Dead Motherboard (Most likely), Dead CPU or Bad RAM.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did try to test jus the cpu ram and vid card. I also cleared the cmos, I even let the jumpers sit for a while just to be sure. I also had a feeling it was the motherboard as well. Is it possible, though, for the computer to work for a bit after the spark and just crash? If there is anything else I can try let me know guys, thanks.

Also, would it be possilbe to try my chip and ram from my computer to test without having to reformat? I'm not sure if that is considered a major hardware change or not.

You can try your motherboard and RAM without the need to reformat. But since you changed the motherboard it won't boot to windows without a Repair or reinstall. But that should be good enough to test if the motherboard is the problem or not.

I would still do the barebone test like I suggested before anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom