Building New Computer - Need Little Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imhiya

Baseband Member
ill tell you what ive decided with.

Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 1066FSB
Motherboard - ASUS P5NSLI, nForce 570 SLI, DDR, Socket 775, Core 2 Duo

Questions:
1.But im not sure if the motherboard will be good enough also ive heard with new motherboards you have to buy a new hard drive?

2. What ram should i go for? ive decided im gonna get 1gb to start and get more later.

3. its my first time buidling a computer from SCRATCH, will i need to do anything else put places the parts in?

4. What fan should i get as the default fans dont tend to be very good.

very nice for first build so far, but there a few other things you will need.. ALSO what is your total budget?

ANOTHER NOTE: dont bother with SLI - unless you are running 2 7900s -, it is a waste of money. just buy a new 7900 GT or whatever the ATI equivilent is. It costs the same amount, but you can get a cheaper mobo.

1. the motherboard you chose would be the best chocie if not the only.. :p SLI is alright, but as I said, you can get equal results with a single 7900 vs 2 7600s or something like that. UNLESS you have the budget to get 2 7900s.... in which case i am jealous.

--As for the HDD question... yes it would be best to buy a new hard drive, one that supports SATA II. SATA is far faster than IDE, and the cables are far smaller, meaning alot less clutter in your new system.

2. G skill ram. make sure you get 2 512 sticks if you want to be able to take advantage of dual channel. dual channel ONLY works if you have 2 sticks. later on when you are ready to get another gig you can either buy two 1 gig sticks and sell the 512s, OR you can get 2 more of the EXACT same ram (and i do mean exact) so you have all 4 slots used up. personally i would sell the 512s once you are ready to upgrade and buy two 1 gig sticks, since then you still have 2 slots open....

3. Dont understand this question.

4. consider watercooling, it is very proficient and quiet, but it will cost you. I wouldnt worry about getting it if you arent gonna overclock.... but for air, get a Zalman 9500 I have one, and i can safely say... they kick ***.

Well i dont really have a budget as im just buying as i earn enough seeing as im just a student and working part time :p also i was thinking of getting 1 gefore 7900gt or 7950 then buy a 2nd later on in time. Also with the ram thing yeah it would of being 2 sticks. but how do u set up dual channel? does it do it default?

and for question 3. i mean like in bios ?

Also! XD will ide work with that motherboard ? or just SATA?

what? No you definatly do not need a new HDD... yes any IDE HDD will work on any board with IDE. and SATA2 is backward compatable with SATA1.

you dont need sata anyway, Sata has higher Burst transfer rate, but the HDD is physically the same as EIDE.. it cannot maintain any steady data rate much higher then EIDE. you may have a little increase in Loading times with SATA... but SATA is definatly not neccessary, especially if you already have a substantial sized 7200rpm or higher EIDE drive.
-------------------------------------------------

The best Fan controller ever made(as far as i know)
Why? = because each nob goes from 0v to 12v, and you can turn off each nob if you wont... also each channel can hanndle enough wattage for multiple fans per channel... and its not pulse width modualted, so fans wont make any buzzing noise, and lights dont blink if you connect lights to it.
(also in black just search for it)
http://xoxide.com/rheobus4port.html

AS5 with free first class mail shipping.
http://www.svc.com/as5-3g.html
AS5 instructions: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

there are only generally 3 types of casess.
: microATX
: ATX or MidATX (these are the majority of cases)
: FullATX tower.

microATX casess will only fit microATX motherboard (these shorter boards typically only have about 3 or less PCI slots for example)

ATX/midATX will fit any motherboard... same with a Full Tower(full towers just have exccess room with tones of Bays for HDDs/5.25" bay devicess for example.
--------------------------------------

Watercooling is a budget consern unless you can afford the extra cost... its totally unnessessary though, unless your Overclocking to the extreme.... any HSF with a Large fan is just as quite. http://xoxide.com/intelsocket775.html

EDIT: o yea, if you cant find cheap 120mm fans elsewere, theres sometimes good deals on fans here for example:
http://www.nexfan.com/

for general parts you can also try
www.pricegrabber.com
www.resellerratings.com

turtile said:
I would get Panaflo or Akasa fans.
nothing wrong with Yate Loon.

if you have a fan controller... it doesnt matter at all witch kind of fans they are.. if they are 120mm fans, they will be silent running at any speed slower then Max... no matter witch brand.

yes, and dual channel is normally colour coded on the motherboard check the manual when you get it.

Also nvidia and ATI are close on releasing directx 10 cards why get 2 7900GT`s when soon they will be old news. Up to you though Personally im waiting till the 2nd revision of directx 10 cards before I fully upgrade.

Also make sure you have a good PSU especially if you decide to go sli at least 700W +

You should also get a good ATX case for sli you will need lots of room and one with some fans.

Right, ive decided im looking for a cheapish motherboard without SLI for now and upgrade to SLI when new graphics directX 10 cards come out =]

So im looking for a motherboard that supports Core 2 with atleast 3 PCI slots and has IDE.

is it possible? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom