how can I modify my boot ini file to find my OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.
[boot loader]
;timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW

S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect <-- Will be your Boot.ini config with both Windows XP Home, and MCE.

what did I do wrong? it isn't working

[boot loader]
;timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

__Camouflage__ said:
Take out the last, [operating systems], and only have 1 at the beginning of the entry.

it say invalid boot path when I take it out in boot.ini path under msconfig, but it says it's fine when I leave it in. what does
noexecute=optin mean?

Alright, I'll show you my dual boot Boot.ini file, just so you can get a better glimpse of it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The NoExecute=OptIn has something to do with DEP (Data Execution Prevention), I have no clue on it, but you could google it for more info.

EDIT : Are you sure you got your "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)" Settings right on the entries?

I figure this much out right now. my home boot.ini is on my second partition of my40 gig ide drive (there isn't much else there. i was planning to install xp 64 bit or xandros there) whereas my other boot.ini is on my sata drive

I'm going to set my ide drive to boot in the bios or I will reinstall acronis Os selector and point it to that drive

edit. I can now boot to whichever os that I set the hard drive to boot from (even though both os are installed on the sata drive), but I can"t get them to show up at boot together

bootcfg /rebuild didn't work either

I guest that I will have to unhook the ide drives to do what I want.

bootcfg /rebuild worked when I unplug the ide drives. i made sure that I deleted the boot files on the ide drive first

thanks guys

Makaveli213 said:
Eric try EasyBCD. It is the Vista Boot Loader editor. That might alow you to be able to get all 4 on there.

I'm trying this out. what do I do with it? I now have MCE, XP sp1, XP 64bit and vista installed (I delete everything but mce last night). during the install process, I seen (briefly) that it recognize MAC

EasyBcd.jpg

I believe you just have to add the entries. I know the indivual who wrote the application. I will ask him personally how to accomplish this feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom