Memory Upgrading Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baseband Member
Howdy,
I was at Comp Usa, to buy a 512 memory stick for my Gateway M-350 notebook, and right now it has 2 - 256's memory sticks already that came from gateway's factory. The Comp Usa computer tech told me if I would have a upgraded the memory stick to a 512 memory stick and left one of the 256's to work with the 512 stick I wouldnt see much diffrence. Then the tech went on and on about his computer is faster because he has a gaming type computer. So I went home and spoke with gateway tech support about it and they told me if i woulda installed a 512 and left one of the 256's I would see alot of diffrence and it would be alot of faster to. Because I goto alot of graphic signature forum's, im a member of playstation 2 forum. The notebook is a:
Gateway M-350 Cs 504mb of ram, Windows Xp Home

Were you planning on purchasing the extra 512 from CompUSA? Or were you just there getting a formal opinion? I think that you may see a little bit of a difference even by replacing the 2 modules with 1 module of 512. Sounds like it wouls be the same....and, yes, the amount of RAM would be. But since the entire module is accessible via one communication link make the difference. The difference is going to be there but it may be so insignificant that you may not actually "see" the difference. The question will be.....will the price justify the difference in performance and vise versa. You can always return the RAM if it doesn't work out ya know?

-Mike

I was planning to buy a 512 stick just one of em, and use it with a 256 stick thats already in there from compusa. And take out the other 256 stick. I think I would see a diffrence with the 512 working with the 256. The price on gateway's website for the 512 stick is about 229.00 compared to 129.99 at compusa. I wanted to buy the stick i was all ready for it, until the computer tech went on and on about it

ive heard mixing RAM can have bad effects, is it possible for you to get matching 512's?
upside: you'd have 512MB extra and guaranteed no probs with diff brand sticks
downside: it costs more
if mixing the 512MB stick with the 256 will also make it faster, then by all means get it. you can always return it if you're not satisfied

130 sounds like a lot. but i mix memory modules all the time and have never had a problem. If you do anything that requires a lot of memory, it is better to go with the combined 768 instead of just the 512. You can never have to much memory, you'll need it eventually. If you buy your memory online, you might be able to get it cheaper. I suggest www.newegg.com. They ship fast and are trustworthy.

apokalipse said:
ive heard mixing RAM can have bad effects, is it possible for you to get matching 512's?

That's rubbish. I've mixed different sizes before and have never had a problem. The only time where you might (emphasis on might) have a problem is when you mix different brands and you have an old MB that has banks of 2 or 4 and have to install in pairs. As the wafer chips might come from different lots sold to various vendors, it might cause an odd issue with such older MBs. But even so, such problems would be so few and far between I doubt there's any need for concern.

Where you might have gotten confused is perhaps you heard someone say that certain PCs/laptops use proprietary components. i.e. Compaq is notoriously known for using RAM modules designed to work only for their motherboards. In such a case, you're forced to buy memory sticks only from Comcrap as using other brands will cause lock-ups/issues, etc.

What im gonna do is 3rd of next month im gonna buy that combined 768 from that newegg.com website or see what they recommend, I cant really afford those prices at gateway

Crucial.com is another great website for memory. They are owned by Micron and they are a 1st-tier manufacturer - their quality is excellent and offer a lifetime warranty on all their memory modules.

had to delete the beginning of this... didn't read the post right, so if you replied to the previous message I misread it... anyhow I've heard the stories of mixmatched memory causing problems, too. however, I've never experienced it before and so doubt it. until Ive seen it or know someone who has, then its just a fairy tale ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom