Building First Comp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is antifreeze elitrically conductive? Do you use anti freeze? Sounds like I will get two 512 sticks... it's cheaper that way.

i use antifreeze. But i do not have a compressor. Just regular watercooling. I dunno if its a electric conductor...

lazerman said:
I'm also looking to get at least 512mb of sdram. 1gb is good too. Can I get a link to some really good memory?

atleast get DDR if you going to have a P4 w/HT
its the least you could do for the computing world... lol

lazerman said:
Oh and what is overclocking besides the obvious of speeding it up? How do you that and what are the benefits and side effects?

You can easily overclock the cpu in most bios's. If the bios is called something like soft bios, you should be able to do this. You can achive this by uping the front side bus. Keep in mind however when you up the FSB you increase the bus on the PCI bus as well, some card cant tolirate this, so watch out for system instability. The worst that can happen, if you dont have good cooling you can burn something up, but you usually notice errors and system crashing before this happens.

lazerman said:
Ok here is what I'm considering, For my mobo, and for my processor. Tell me what you think. I am set on the mobo but as for the processor I may be persuaded.

Great motherboard and processor. However this kind of setup requires DDR ram, not sd. Corsair makes the best DDR memory.

hammyham said:
875p Chipset is good. If you're going to get 1gb of ddr ram, i suggest you get two 512 sticks.. That way it runs in dual channel.
SDRAM is older ram, I don't even know if they make SD boards anymore.. ?

Yes they still make them, very much so. Just as pentium III's and celeron's are still being made.

lazerman said:
I found the processor I want, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-416&depa=1 , Is that a good one? I read the reviews and everybody says it's faster than the intel 3.2ghz with ht tech., Is that true?

Wouldnt really know. If it is, its not by much. Also I went with a dual cpu system and it beats them all :). Two 1.0ghz pentium III's running together. And in the event anything can beat it, I can upgrade to two intel tulatins running at 1.4ghz with a powerleap adapter. I will never use one processor on my main machine again, once you get a smp machine you never go back. The dual p3 system of mine also has raid 0. Which is nice... :)

hey lazerman, dont get ram from the makers themselves, they bend you over backward. i got my components from ebay cheaper than on newegg and definitely cheaper than retailers or corsair. or save yourself a lot of money and get two sticks instead of one. also that watercooler is unnecessary for ..really anything right now, especially that cpu yer lookin at. also keep in mind the future advancements that are comin so 64 bit programs and games arent too far away and with that mobo and cpu youd be stuck in 32bit and youd need new mobo and cpu, very expensive. my 3200 is very fast and stable and will be even faster when xp64 comes out. i also dont have any heating problems, my cpu is very cool.
(i built this for around 2300)

amd64 3200
corsair pc3200 512
maxtor 160 sata raid0 (x2)
radeon 9800xt
soyo k8usa
audigy2 zs platinum
pioneer 107b 8x dvd burner
dell 2001fp 20" LCD

I'll keep that in mind. I'm also thinking about waiting until intel's 64 bit processor comes out.

lazerman said:
I'll keep that in mind. I'm also thinking about waiting until intel's 64 bit processor comes out.

You guys dont really think all the software manufacturers will up and change their code over to 64bit that fast do you? That costs a ton of cash to rewrite all that software, and not to mention games. And if the 64bit chip can decode 32bit, then you have to think, how many software programmers are going to support this? Probably not that many, its been out for a year at least and still the only thing I can see that supports this is windows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom