how can I modify my boot ini file to find my OS's

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I'm using acoronis Os selector which is suppose to let me install 100's of different os. I'm have MCE 2005 and MAC OS X in no problem. but I install vista and xp home service pack one (for it's speed). acronis doesn't see either and removing acornis it will only show the mac and mce.

now to get to the latter 2 OS's I have to stick the vista dvd in. for some strange reason this bypasses the acronis loader (I don't even hit a key to boot from cd). but then vista and xp home selection shows up

I want all 4 to show up at the same time

Figure out with the Windows Vista and Home boot.ini file looks like, and then in your main OS, go to My Computer --> Properties --> Advanced --> Startup & Recovery (Settings). Where is says, "System Startup" go to "To edit the start up options manually, click Edit." Click edit, add your new info in. (multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn, or similar) and click save. Reboot and see if that works.

Eric try EasyBCD. It is the Vista Boot Loader editor. That might alow you to be able to get all 4 on there.

I only have one boo.ini file. it is on my c drive

[boot loader]
;timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

why do I have to use my vista cd to find the other boot paths? the vista boot loader will show up then. How do I use the recovery console?

I want to keep acronis os selector if I can (I doubt if the other one will find the mac system), but I will use EasyBCD as a last resort

I don't think Windows XP boot loader will detect Mac OS.

But if you want to use it, load (boot) the XP disc, press "R" to enter recovery console. type bootcfg /rebuild. You can also type bootcfg by itself, to see a list of available options.

TheMajor said:
I don't think Windows XP boot loader will detect Mac OS.

But if you want to use it, load (boot) the XP disc, press "R" to enter recovery console. type bootcfg /rebuild. You can also type bootcfg by itself, to see a list of available options.

I'll give that a try.

The reason you have to use the Vista one for the Vista and XP with SP1 is cause Vista overwrites the XP bootloader. Since you installed that XP after (I assume since you acn get those only with that DVD Running) it shows those and not the other.

EasyBCD will allow you to manipulate the Vista bootloader and add or delete each boot path as necessary.

the xp sp1 boot path never show up. I needed the xp cd to be in the cd rom drive for it to show up.

I'm going to delete everything except mce. then I'm going to install sp1 then vista then try to install the acronis bootloader So I can install the mac

ok I install sp1 and I still have the same problem. i need to put the xp home cd in to boot to it

I know that part of my problem is that I using a 200 gig sata drive as my OS's drive why still keeping 2 ide drives (1 200 gig storage and 1 40 gig for my MAC os x and xandros in the future)

here is my home boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

how do I merge it with the media center

[boot loader]
;timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW
S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom