4 Gig's of Ram? Better or problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cothor

Beta member
I am wanting to upgrade my ram from 2 Gig's to 4 Gig's for playing mmorpg's. It may seem excessive but when you have 100+ players on the screen... I think it will help.

The dilima for me is that I read on a message board about a month ago (before I discovered this forum) that 4 gigs can cause issues and possibly lower performance. Is there any truth in this?

What os are you using?

Assuming your using windows XP then yes it can as its too much memory for it to adresss and can slow things down.

How your getting lag in WoW With 7900 GTX's in SLI is beyond me.

I think a faster internet connection would serve you better with lag in a mmorpg then going to 4 gigs. also, non 64bit windows cannot use 4 gigs of ram.

4GB of RAM really is not gonna do you any good. Judging by the excessive amount of performance your computer would have, it likely has to do with your internet connection, or perhaps the server(s).

You have to realize that the server and your internet connection has to keep tabs on what everyone in your screen is doing, and therefore has to inform your computer what is happening.

Yeah, 4 gigs is not needed. 2 gigs is really mroe than you need to run modern mmorpgs with a good framerate.

I've never seen any tests to prove that 2 gigs are better then 4. Could anyone provide some information proving this? Not saying I don't believe it, but I've never read anywhere other then this forum that 2 will give you better performance then 4. IÂ’d like to see some benchmarks if possible. Thanks

Thanks for the answers. I am not getting any lag as of now. My DL speed for most files is over 1mb/sec. I am prepping my machine for Vanguard SOH. Sucks to hear I can't use 4 gigs with xp, kinda sad to hear that. I guess I'll have to wait for Vista. I could have written my initial statement a little better. Thanks again.

Cothor said:
Thanks for the answers. I am not getting any lag as of now. My DL speed for most files is over 1mb/sec. I am prepping my machine for Vanguard SOH. Sucks to hear I can't use 4 gigs with xp, kinda sad to hear that. I guess I'll have to wait for Vista. I could have written my initial statement a little better. Thanks again.

When you say, "1mb/sec" do you mean 1 Megabits per second(Mbps), or are you talking Megabytes per second(MBps)? If you are getting 1Mbps for an internet connection, then you have slow internet (comparitive to normal high-speed). However, if you mean you get 1MBps on downloads, then you have a rather fast internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom