Newcomer here

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenpcs

Beta member
Hi guys,

newcomer here. Just wanted to check if AMDs are still any good. Been out of the PC hardware scene so I don't really know the latest updates. I have an AMD Sepron 2800+ right now (was a gift from mom). Heard about the core-duo chips out. Looks interesting although I don't really think I need em yet.

Welcome to Tech-Forums and enjoy your stay. Feel free to talk with us and share comments about your PC!

Your PC is still quite good, but if you plan on doing any gaming, I would recommend an AMD Athlon, or a Core 2 Duo, depending on your budget.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it still more affordable on an AMD compared to Intel these days?

Yes, AMD is much more affordable.

But watch out where you buy from. If you buy an AMD processor online from Newegg.com, it will cost you about $90 for an AMD Athlon 3500. At a place in the city, such as Best Buy, they'll charge $225 for the same product. Buying online saves you alot more money.

If you wish, one of our members can price out a nice computer for you to build, under $800.

Wow. What a price difference. I'll read more about the hardware differences first before buying. Thanks for the lead though.

No problem.

Yes, we've got a whole thread in the Off Topic area flaming Best Buy. They do have friendly staff. I will admit that. But their prices and warranty service is just crazy :rolleyes:

You'll learn on this forum that Newegg is the best website on the internet (besides Tech-Forums)

Welcome to TF. As you have already found out, most here are friendly.

While the Core 2 Dou is the hot thing, TF has mainly been a pro-AMD, pro-nVidia forum. Your upgradability will depend on your socket type and your chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom