Upgrading, DX10? Core 2? Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way an X800 Pro runs Oblivion on its highest settings. I can't even get close to highest on my 7800GT.

Get the G80, which is comming next month if you want to play Crysis. Doing it with today's cards would require SLI and it doesn't sound like you want to go that route.

Crysis needs at least a 6800 GT just to run. they recommend a 7800/7900 series card (preferrably a 24 pipeline one)

my video card should be good for it: 24 pipelines and 750MHZ
but I could do with a better CPU

andrewsvalesen said:
I know you said you aren't an Oc'er
but Intels Core 2 duo series beat AMD's FX-64 card for half the price.

That is. If you OC.
Which you said you aren't.
But to the point..
I'd just keep Windows XP.
From what I hear Vista isn't good for gaming. (Rumor. No idea if true or not.)
And Vista will be hella expensive.

I was looking at a chart, and the X2 4800 completely obliterates a core2 duo in price to ghz... I would never buy an FX card, the top of the line processors are so outrageously overpriced, I'll stick with a medium range CPU, I'm not spending $1000 on an FX processor:confused: Although, I might get a core2 duo anyway, I just find it hard to believe they could be better than AMD, the company I always go to for gaming processors... although, it would be nice to have a gaming processor that works well with adobe too:D

Which sub-$300 CPU is best right now? Will AMD be releasing new processors anytime soon?

Windows XP - $250
Windows Vista - $350

If I bought XP, I'd buy Vista in about a year...if I bought Vista, I'd be content for 5 years. Compare the prices $350 for vista, or $600 for both:confused:

Actually, my mother works at Gateway, and they're testing Vista on some of their 'vista ready' PCs, they appear to run great, even Oblivion ran well, or at least, "better than the 360 version"

I'm willing to pay $100 more for Vista, and I think I've decided to buy it already at or near launch, but I would love it if you could give me more info on processors:D Would it be worth it to OC a core 2 duo? I know how, I'm just afraid I might do something wrong...I don't know...I could read a step by step article, get some AC5, and try it...but....what about my warranty?

-Thanks for the Help, but Vista is the reason I'm not buying a mac right now:p

beedubaya said:
No way an X800 Pro runs Oblivion on its highest settings. I can't even get close to highest on my 7800GT.

Get the G80, which is comming next month if you want to play Crysis. Doing it with today's cards would require SLI and it doesn't sound like you want to go that route.

My definition of highest settings, is everything that I care about on max. My resolution won't go above 1280x1024 because of my monitor, the only shadows I care about are canopy shadows, and I have blood on the lowest setting, AA is also on only 2x.

Oblivion and Crysis are actually the reasons I'm upgrading, Oblivion is really slowing down, I can't tell if it's the animal foot steps (I have an integrated sound card) or my GPU, probably both. Well, I'll be getting a DX10 card as soon as it comes out, or as soon as an OEM package is available from Newegg:D

P.S. ATI cards are far superior than Nvidea's in Oblivion, so it really isn't surprising that are cards perform at around the same level, of course, you can go play Half-Life 2 and obliterate my card if you want:)

Will DX10 run on current mobos? Or do they need a new chipset? I just found a heaping pile of Crysis videos and I'm thinking if theres anyway i can get to run 100% on my system. I think I'll need 3GHz of AMD or equivilant and a G80 card... *I wish I had Conroe.... :/ *

BennyV04988 said:
Will DX10 run on current mobos? Or do they need a new chipset? I just found a heaping pile of Crysis videos and I'm thinking if theres anyway i can get to run 100% on my system. I think I'll need 3GHz of AMD or equivilant and a G80 card... *I wish I had Conroe.... :/ *
If you can play Oblivion, you're pretty much set for vista, but, for Crysis...well, %100 won't even be accomplished by the G80 if I'm not mistaken....

beedubaya said:
The G80 should be perfect to play UT2007 and other Unreal Engine 3 games. Only time will tell about Crysis.

Yep, well, at least I have my hype for Wii to occupy until me untill Crysis's release:)

well 100% meaning features, like hdr and shader 3...sorry. (16x AA is just retarded if you ask me.) I'd like to not feel the need to build a new system from the ground up just to play Crysis, thats all.

I know I'll need a 2nd GB of ram and a G80 card. Hopefully my 2.5GHz x2 will be enough. (what on earth are those systems they run it on???)

On those Crysis demonstration videos. What are the specs on the computer are they using. Because it seems, Crysis is running pretty good on the system they're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom