Boot disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landoix

Baseband Member
Yah I've been trying to install Windows XP Pro and have talked to people, and they say I need a floppy boot disk to install temporary files and drivers needed to boot off the CD. I've tried different files off this site: http://www.drd.dyndns.org/fr_index.html?/disks.html but no luck. I'm trying to use 1 - 98 boot disk because I supposedly can, cuz it does same thing as 6 - XP disks. But with the 98SE disks for both the winimage and DOS extractor, it says BOOT: Could not find NTLDR Please insert another disk_ and for the regular 98 disk (both the winimage and DOS extractor,) it says NON SYSTEM DISK Replace and press key when ready. Really'd appreciate some help on this one guys, thanx alot. Just help me on what to do (if I'm on right track,) and what other files to try. Do I need do this in DOS or should I use one that can only be done in Windows? No DOS screen enters on startup, and floppy set to first boot device. My specs are in my signature..

This is a fresh install on a 100% clean hard drive with no OS on it right now, and its not formatted yet. How do I format using a 98 boot disk? It shouldn't matter that DOS doesn't work on XP, considering its not even XP yet (no OS.)

I dont see any reason why you can't boot from the XP CD-ROM, unless you only have the upgrade version (which would suck), like MicroBell said, make sure you have your CD-ROM as the primary boot device (you should be able to get to it from your BIOS).

I believe both the upgrade and the full install are bootable. Check your BIOS settings to verify the CD is one of the boot devices, you might have to check the order.

I would really try to get the CD working, it will save you at least a half hour worth of time.

Well I made a Windows 98SE startup disk at school, so it is all original and proper, should work right. Downloading off sites just didnt seem to work. Ya guys I know about everything you've said, tried setting first boot device in BIOS to CD-ROM and it didn't detect it (CD) as a system disk. So I believe there are some temporary, generic files that must be loaded on to my HDD for proper driver files, so that my CD-ROM can read the XP Pro CD. Remember, the 98 startup disk will still get you started out for XP as well. Also keep in mind that I have built this computer from scratch, and there is absolutely NOTHING, AT ALL on the hard disk yet. All I've done is install all components and hardware and do all physical connections and jumpers in computer. Now software part comes, so that is what I'm worried about. Think I should be good to go now, I'll try it out when I get home from school. Thnx for replies anyways, I'll keep ya posted. ;)

P.S. - Yah learn something every day, but I've been trying to set this comp up for over a week and it getting frustrating. Knew long ago about how and what to change in BIOS. Just a F.Y.I. is all..

Turned out didn't really need a boot/startup floppy disk after all (didn't think I actually did, just listening to people.) My CD was crap and wouldn't install XP Pro. Now the OS is on my comp, so next thing on agenda is to get internet! (only ADSL in my town right now, nothing else. It's alright though.) So the next time I post will probably be off my new comp. :D (I'm at school right now..) Thanks for help anyways guys.

Well, at least that's resolved. Also, booting from CD doesn't depend on a hard drive, it is the BIOS that controls that. If you are not getting prompted to boot from you CD it could be one of two things, 1. Your "boot from CD" options are disabled or 2. you need a BIOS Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom