The curse of the 2 Ram Chips . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Shmoo did this though.....the test came up bad....oh wait, well he's only showing the test for DIMM2.....pardon me then :)
Well, on second thought, knowing Shmoo, I'm sure he's already tried this. And if not, then he's reading this and frantically running to his computer right now to do this in order to say that he's done it. LOL ;)
Sucks man....I know that you were really excited to get this board too!
About shooting some fools.... anytime after 6pm my time! Name the day....or just give me a ring. I'll probably give you a call after work today.

-Mike

Ya, did that last night just to be sure . . . got errors. It's gotta be the slot, I'll have a new board tomorrow. Thanks 4 the help.

Shmoo

Hey Mike,

hehe, I had to read the post a couple of time to make sure I was not saying something that did not make sense. Glad to know you fingured it out Shmootill. Have a good one.

You're not goanna believe this . . . .

Got my RMA'd motherboard, threw it in the comp . . .

SAME PROBLEMS . . .. am able to repeat above test verbatin with the same results. . .

I'm assuming it must be my RAM then . . . have anyof you EVER heard anything like this? Is value RAM that menacing!!???

Question: I'm new to dual channel, and I haven't tried it with this mobo because I don't think my RAM is dual channel, but am I right in understanding that RAM actually has to be designed for dual - channel? Or is any DDR supposed to work dual channel? i.e. should I try plugging them in the dual-channel configuration?

"Kingston Value RAM - KVR400x64c3ak2/1G" = current RAM

-Shmoo

*Stumbles away from gutted monstrosity of a computer, falters, then passes out on the cold, cold floor*

P.S.
Memory Wizard,
Got a line of some well-priced high-quality Dual Channel RAM?

Shmootill,

There is no "dual channel" memory, it is a function of the motherboard. If the 2 modules have the same specs, ie: same megabytes, CL speed, MHz, and same chip count then they can be used in dual channel. All you need to do to have the board run in dual channel is install the modules in slots 1 and 3. If the modules are not the same size cosmetically should not matter. Some people are using Corsair, Crucial and Mushkin, depends on if you plan on overclocking. I would stick with Crucial for obvious reasons. I have been using Crucial in my boxes for years and have had no problems. If you plan on overclocking then go with Corsair or Mushkin. We have found any memory taged as
value-ram is hit or miss on performance. Like putting low grade gas in a high performance motor, laggy. We will try to be open minded when offering our opinion about what types of memory to get. The Kingston standard is good memory, I just do not like any value ram lines.

Just my opinion, I hope it helps.

Thx for the reply, ya, I just found out that my RAM is incompatible . . . . I'll get that new RAM, no cheap stuff this time, I'm getting a full refund. Thanks for everyone's help.

Shmoo

Btw: If there's no such thing as "Dual Channel" specific memory sticks, then why do some chips advertise as Dual Channel?

Shmoo

That's a cheap advertising gimmick some brands follow ..... Crucial's rite ...there's no such thing as "dual channel ram" .... It's ur mobo which makes the ram work in dual channel mode ...

I read ur thread a bit late ... anywayz .. I own the same mobo ..n' i have tried the kingston value ram on it earlier ... i did face issues like random restarts, BSOD etc..
N' this was not limited to Gigabyte mobo's only ..i found it to behave erratically on Asus mobo's too ... N' yes both mobo's were nforce based mobo's...

They seem to work fine with intel chipset based mobo's ...so i concluded that there must've been an issue with nforce based mobo's n' kingston value ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom