Real Dell tech support call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, language. I agree...

Is Dell really that hard to deal with? Out here, you just call Dell and they say "Let us redirect you to a certified Dell Service Outlet", and they just tell you the phone number of a local computer shop.

Support for a Dell? What a joke! Also, what's the first thing you see when you open a Dell box? The mousepad that says "service.dell.com".

What does that mean? After hearing that, Dell doesn't service their computers.
On a positive note; the guy didn't sound oriental. It's nice to see American people giving tech support.

talldude123 said:
Yes, language. I agree...

Is Dell really that hard to deal with? Out here, you just call Dell and they say "Let us redirect you to a certified Dell Service Outlet", and they just tell you the phone number of a local computer shop.

Support for a Dell? What a joke! Also, what's the first thing you see when you open a Dell box? The mousepad that says "service.dell.com".

What does that mean? After hearing that, Dell doesn't service their computers.
On a positive note; the guy didn't sound oriental. It's nice to see American people giving tech support.
I've talked to Dell tech support about my laptop once when I wanted to get a replacement LCD because of the light leak problem they were having. I just chat with them because I know they want all that stupid info just to make sure you aren't just some schmuck trying to get free tech support or something. It's easier for me to type that **** in instead of tell them over the phone.

The thing that got me was the tech support told him that you don't ever want to take the battery out of the running computer. Why? That's no different than holding down the power button. They are both cutting power. :rolleyes:

THAT WAS ****ING HALARIOUS!!! isnt that in the manual, if it dont shut off, hold the button, plus its common sence. least it isnt as bad as geek squad...called them once(display card prob) and they sayd everything but check the power cable for it. that was before i found this site, i say ask people online before calling tech support

Yeah dell is just about that bad, I was in a good mood when I called, except I got amit and 3 other foreign people. They will not tell you anything til they get all that crap even if you push (i did, but was nice). feel sorry for the support ppl thou, it isn't their fault.

See, that's the type of idiot that this world can do without. First of all, those questions are standard questions that they need to log into their system to verify that it isn't some retard trying to pull their chain and waste their time. Tech Support is very expensive and they need a verification system.

Secondly, that idiot was mad because of his blatant inability to shut down a laptop. It had nothing to do with Dell or the Laptop itself, it was just his pure ignorance that fueled his fire.

I give that tech support guy a lot of credit for keeping his cool and handling that call with professionalism.

OpticalIllusion said:
The thing that got me was the tech support told him that you don't ever want to take the battery out of the running computer. Why? That's no different than holding down the power button. They are both cutting power. :rolleyes:

If the power brick is unplugged then the battery is the only thing powering the notebook. And at that point, the notebooks components were still being powered and running. It's not a good idea to just rip the battery out of a notebook that doesn't have another power source to shut it down.

Why don't you try pulling the main PSU cord from the back of your desktop while it running? Would you ever do that? Most peo[le would tell you it's not a smart thing...

Well same idea applies here.

HAVOC2k5 said:
If the power brick is unplugged then the battery is the only thing powering the notebook. And at that point, the notebooks components were still being powered and running. It's not a good idea to just rip the battery out of a notebook that doesn't have another power source to shut it down.

Why don't you try pulling the main PSU cord from the back of your desktop while it running? Would you ever do that? Most peo[le would tell you it's not a smart thing...

Well same idea applies here.
Holding down the power button does the same thing. They both cut power instantly.

OpticalIllusion said:
Holding down the power button does the same thing. They both cut power instantly.

No it's not the same thing. If you hold down the "SOFT POWER BUTTON" on a desktop or notebook, once it shuts off, the motherboard still has power.

If you yank the battery out without the power brink plugged into the laptop, your cutting the power to the motherboard instantly.

Same thing applies to ATX motherboards on desktops. If I were to hold the soft power button down right now while my PC is running, And it shuts off, If I look into my case at my motherboard, the light is still on because the motherboard still has power.

But, if I were to pull the plug out of the power supply when it's running, it would obviously shut down, but there would be NO POWER at all in the motherboard.

That's the difference i'm talking about.

HAVOC2k5 said:
But, if I were to pull the plug out of the power supply when it's running, it would obviously shut down, but there would be NO POWER at all in the motherboard.

That's the difference i'm talking about.

Gah I did a similar thing, and it totally killed all the data on my hard drive...and Im sure it wouldnt have happened if I had pressed the boutton and held it, except the hitting the power breakers switch was a total accident

But yes havok you make excellent points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom