I have assigned a program to a file. how do i de-assign it

Status
Not open for further replies.

idrisguitar

Solid State Member
basically i tried to edit a sub file in notepad (subtitle file)

i didn;t do anything to it and now it recognizes the sub file as opening with noepad

and the video player jams when using this sub file.

how can stop windows from saying 'the file opens with 'notepad'' so it can start to work again.

i know it isn;t that fact that i edited it cause another subtitle file had the same error. i know its because all of a sudden windows recognizes .sub files as notepad file.

is there a way to de-assign this program and bring it back to where it was. (where is wasn;t associated with any program)

hope you can help

Idris

Right click on the file and see if that allows you to choose the option Open With. If it does just choose the right application and from there just check the box that says "Always use this application".

If not then you have to open up the folder options. Open My Computer>Tools>Folder Options (I think going off memory here) On the View Tab you will see a list of all file types. Just find the one in question and change the default application for opening said file.

no i dont want to assign it to the right program, there is no right program
i want it so it isn;t assigned to any program

otherwise it wont work properly.

Then there is nothing you can do. If you assigned it a application when there wasnt one now it will always use that app. there isnt a way to remove a app now once you assign one. At least not that i know of.

Have you tried to assign WMP or something like that just to see if that will work?

In windows explorer, click on the Tools-->Folder Options

go the to the File Types tab, find file extension in question and click the change button. I think there is an advanced button that will you to manully type the path of the file. Simply clear that box and this "un-associate" the file type....or it should. Let us know if it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom