Adding Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATI-M

Baseband Member
Memory is how much RAM you have right, i dont wanna get anything confused, but memory=ram correct

and if so I see people that have multiple ram cards/whatever they are

Like my question is? How many can you put in a computer, and where exactly do they go?

ram is random access memory...so, yes.
how much ram? ....depends on your motherboard. can be 2, 3...etc. they go in simm or dimm slots, amongst others..

Yeah i suggest you look in your motherboard manual. Or post motherboard here and we acn get the information for you. And if you dont know you motherboard download this here this has to be only the 50'th time i have said this lol

ATI-M said:
Memory is how much RAM you have right, i dont wanna get anything confused, but memory=ram correct

and if so I see people that have multiple ram cards/whatever they are

Like my question is? How many can you put in a computer, and where exactly do they go?

There are various types of memory related to a PC. The type you are referring to is sometimes what techies will refer to as system memory which is amount of memory installed in modules on your motherboard. The BIOS chip that's installed on your motherboard is however is a special type of ROM (Read-Only Memory) which most MB manufacturers currently offer as EEPROM (Electronically Erasable & Programmable ROM).

Some people have video cards installed in their PC, which is what gamers prefer. The video card that's installed on my PC has 32 MB of DDR RAM that's soley dedicated for processing video/graphic images and related code for hardware.

The maximum amount of RAM that you can install on your PC is primarily dictated by your MB. RAM modules come in different sizes and speeds. Again, depending on your MB, you will be restricted to using certain types depending on how new your MB is. As an example, my motherboard will only accept SDRAM modules which are 168-pin DIMM form. 100 MHz; or 133 MHz. Some newer MB on the market today accept both the older SDRAM and the current DDR SDRAM which is 184-pin DIMM form.

The DIMM sockets on the MB are often found near the front of the MB near the IDE channels.

EDIT:

For an excellent tutorial done by Corsair, Inc. go to THIS site done in a very easy to understand comprehensive manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom