Upgrading, DX10? Core 2? Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercow

Solid State Member
Well, I'm currently running a homebuilt media center PC, it's running XP media edition and uses your average ATX form factor.

Now, my mother wants a PC, so I'm using my old parts for her non-gaming rig, an x800pro, my MoBo, my X2 3800, and my 100gb HDD.

I need to upgrade those things, and there are so many new technologies that are just getting released, and I don't feel like spending hours and hours on Howstuffworks and Google:confused:

CPU - I have a few choices here, I think a single core processor would be better for me, but I do run Itunes, Adobe, Firefox, and even conversion software at the same time a lot. I have a dual core right now, and for the price, I'm not seeing any benefits as of yet. I know windows doesn't take advantage of dual cores right now, but will Vista really change that?

So, I have a budget of app. $300 for my new CPU. Which CPU do you think is best for me? (note: I'll be playing crysis with this one)

GPU - I think I'll wait for DX10 on this one, how long untill ATI releases a DX10 video card? mid-2007 I would guess, a few months after Vista. And, do you think DX10 is necessary, how long before it becomes a mandatory performance standard?

HDD
I'll be getting a Sata drive, my question is whether to get RAID. I don't think I want it, I don't have any extremely important files (just gamesaves and school reports, nothing that isn't recreatable) and I gave never had a problem with speed, 7,200 RPM with a 4mb buffer is great in my book!!! But, do you think my performance would get so much better to justify going through all that trouble, and work?

MoBo
I think ATX will suffice, I'm not an OCer, and BTX doesn't seem to have that many advantages other than Cooling. (my case has excellent fans, CPU and ATI running at 30 degrees peak)
Is BTX worth getting a new case?
Are there any good deals on BTX MoBo, or should I stay with ATX?

OS
Do you think Vista will have enough problems at launch to make me wait longer for it (to avoid bugs) or do you think just buying it at launch will be good, and bug-free enough for normal use?

It matters because I don't want to go through two OS installs, it is undoubtedly my least favorite part of building my computer. Media Center Installation gave me so many problems!!! (2 months of on and off work just for the OS, I couldn't buy a new copy though, I'm cheap)

RAM
Once again, I'm not on overclocker, so I have some Geil Value Series RAM. A 1 gb stick to be exact, and I just wondered what I had to do for dual channel.... Just buy another and it automatically goes in dual channel once I put them in the same color slots?

Ok, well that's my first post, thanks for the help, and/or comments.

If you're playing Crysis, definitely go for the Conroes. For a little more then $300 you can get the e6600. The e6300 is just $180 that would be good too.

ATI I believe releases their DX10s in the first quarter of '07.

If you're fine with 7200rpm 8mb cache*....then it's not necessary to go RAID.

BTX is not really worth it if you have adequate cooling already. It's just a different form factor.

I don't know about bugs but, in my opinion I would probably wait a little for the bugs to filter out.

To do dual channel, get a ram stick that has the same timings and speed as your current.

b1gapl said:
If you're playing Crysis, definitely go for the Conroes. For a little more then $300 you can get the e6600. The e6300 is just $180 that would be good too.

ATI I believe releases their DX10s in the first quarter of '07.

If you're fine with 7200rpm 8mb cache*....then it's not necessary to go RAID.

BTX is not really worth it if you have adequate cooling already. It's just a different form factor.

I don't know about bugs but, in my opinion I would probably wait a little for the bugs to filter out.

To do dual channel, get a ram stick that has the same timings and speed as your current.

I think the e6300 should be good, but would an older AMD perform better for my price range?

I think I'll buy Vista at launch (or soon afterwards) and just live with a buggy OS for 6 months untill the first big update is released...

I wouldn't worry so much about gettin a GPU that has DX10 for Crisis. Only after DX10 is already out will there be games for it..
So spending a helluva lot of money to get DX10 in the beginning would be a waste of alot of money. Just wait until you find a game that has DX10 that you want to play.

What is your current rig? Check my Sig. Or Jelluvah (sp?) he is selling a massive rig. Mine is medium, but good for current games.

andrewsvalesen said:
I wouldn't worry so much about gettin a GPU that has DX10 for Crisis. Only after DX10 is already out will there be games for it..
So spending a helluva lot of money to get DX10 in the beginning would be a waste of alot of money. Just wait until you find a game that has DX10 that you want to play.

What is your current rig? Check my Sig. Or Jelluvah (sp?) he is selling a massive rig. Mine is medium, but good for current games.

I like maximum settings, and the recommended specs for crysis ia a DX10 compliant video card. Crysis is photorealistic to the point that the first time I saw it, I thought it was a photo untill I saw the jaggies. It simply won't run well enough for me on the x1900xt I was going to get.

My current rig was pretty much posted, actually, it was completely posted 'cept for the case and fan size.... read the post?

well, I'll save you some time and post it anyway, here you go:

x800pro (Not even sufficient for Oblivion, let alone crysis)
X2 3800 (good, but RTS games are having some slowdowns)
1gb (#1 thing I need to upgrade, I HATE HATE HATE loading)
100gb HDD (upgrading as well, 1gb left on it..)

I'll check out the PC, but as I said in my post, I'm interested in a high-end upgrade, not a new PC. I'm just upgrading the main components in no order, this won't be all at once.;)

well.. if you want nice smooth maxed out crysis.. your gonna need dual graphics cards... waiting for a g80 or r600 would be the smart move here, only it would cost you anywhere from 400-600 dollars

NosBoost300 said:
well.. if you want nice smooth maxed out crysis.. your gonna need dual graphics cards... waiting for a g80 or r600 would be the smart move here, only it would cost you anywhere from 400-600 dollars

I think I'll stick with one card...but, I'll get the best card, or just one model below (i.e. x1900xt to x1900xtx)

I might be sacrificing certain features by getting only one card, but my monitor doesn't go past 1240x1024 anyway... And I don't mind turning blood and shadows on a lower setting to smooth the game a little more. But HDR and High Draw Distances, are a must have for me...

One more question, if I turn shadows, resoluion, and blood on low settings, with everything else at a high setting, do you think ATI or Nvidea would be better? Remember, I'm not spending more than $500 and I think Nvidea is slightly more expensive....

well if you're 3800 x2 was an AM2 then i'd definately go Conroe and just get another gig of the same ram...if it's 939 (or whatever the socket is) then it's pretty much up to you on how much you want DDR2 ram over DDR (it's a little faster but more $ and will be much more future-proof)

how much are you willing to spend because that'd help out a lot on recommendations...and if you're willing to spend $300 i'm guessing you're willing to spend a decent amount.

ubercow said:
I like maximum settings, and the recommended specs for crysis ia a DX10 compliant video card. Crysis is photorealistic to the point that the first time I saw it, I thought it was a photo untill I saw the jaggies. It simply won't run well enough for me on the x1900xt I was going to get.

x800pro (Not even sufficient for Oblivion, let alone crysis)
X2 3800 (good, but RTS games are having some slowdowns)
1gb (#1 thing I need to upgrade, I HATE HATE HATE loading)
100gb HDD (upgrading as well, 1gb left on it..)

I'll check out the PC, but as I said in my post, I'm interested in a high-end upgrade, not a new PC. I'm just upgrading the main components in no order, this won't be all at once.;)

1) If you buy a DX10 card now, itll be in high demand thus making it in high price. Just wait until Crysis comes out, thats all I'm saying. (I'm using the G8000 as an example) I don't even know when Crysis is due for release.
2)My x800 runs oblivion on Highest settings. Stock.
3)Well yeh, I meant to edit my post, but I lost where this thread was. On the ebay sale. I'm also auctioning parts as well. I think it says that in the info. But I don't blame you for not reading it.

I know you said you aren't an Oc'er
but Intels Core 2 duo series beat AMD's FX-64 card for half the price.

That is. If you OC.
Which you said you aren't.
But to the point..
I'd just keep Windows XP.
From what I hear Vista isn't good for gaming. (Rumor. No idea if true or not.)
And Vista will be hella expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom