AGP slot or vid card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibbs020

Beta member
I have an order system that I still use.
MB: Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra
512meg ram
Athlon xp @ 2.0g
Nvidia Geforce4 TI 4400

Here's the setup. I shut the system down for a few days since I went out of town. When I got home and fired the system up I got a boot error with 1 long 2 short beeps. I look that up and says the Vid card is most likely not seated. OK...how did that happen? Anyway I took the card out and tried an older agp card I have lying around and the system boots. OK I thought the card crapped out. But I decided to try the original card in another system and it works just fine. Now I went through BIOS and tried changing just about everything I can think of including fast write and agp4x-2x and even to 1x and can't get the card to work. Also a pci card works just fine. I've updated drivers and even tried older ones and no luck. I even flashed a newer system bios version. I can't tell if it's the mobo or vid card. Any suggestions on how to check these to see which is the problem would be greatly appreciated. I've had that card in that system for years with no problems

did you clear your cmos,,,especially after a flash. If you put n the agp card and hook a monitor the agp AND agp is enabled in the bios. When you turn on the PC do you see anything at all ?

Yep I cleared the CMOS via jumper for a few minutes with the power disconnected. When the system boots it starts to run POST (blank screen) and then I get the beep code. I think what happens next is the system starts to look for the MBR with the floppy because the floppy starts to spin up but then the system hangs right there (even with floppy disconnected). But now I think a little more about it I doubt it's looking for that yet because the code is coming even before the system checks ram and any hard drives as you would normally see during POST. Normally the way it booted was you hit the button...comp starts powering up...slight pause (1-2secs)....single beep....monitor starts up with the system checking ram......etc etc. Now instead of the single beep I get the beep code and can't get any further. Monitor doesn't even start to even get into bios.

it seems we have wrong connectivity between agp slot and vga slot. i know your pc works with another vga, i know your vga works on another pc. accidently incompatibility between vga slot and vga card. happend again. usually the pins inside the agp slot don't grap the correct pins of the vga.

Yeah I thought of that but I can't visually see anything wrong. i know it's still a possibility but how can the pins not be connected right all of a sudden? I haven't swapped cards out until I started having a problem. Maybe something to do with heat is all I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom