Mounting my Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

naerskine

In Runtime
When I get my new case and mother board, do I need anything special to mount it on like a rack? Should it be included with the case or do i need to screw it in or something? Also I noticed my hard drive came with no screws, do I need to get those too? Terciary my E6600's stock heat sink, do i need to get that thermal glue stuff or not, it has some sort of crap already on the back of it?

Thanks

nEIL

Your case/mobo will come with lots of screws. Your mobo will have the stuff to mount itself in the case and very possibly you'll have suitable screws for your hd (if not any computer shop should carry them)
Not sure about the heat sink stuff and I have little experience with the new Intel stuff. Some one else would be better suited to answer that one.

In General with processors, if you are worried about heat it's always a good idea to put on some Artic silver, because it costs like $5 and it will lower your temps around 10c (unless its already cool).

woooahhh....stop there or go slower....along with any other 1st timers as this sounds like it :)

Your case usually comes with a good compliment of additional screws. Please note they can be different and some are made specifically to fit the brass risers. The threading is different on the varied bolts and mostly you want the large thread types for the casing areas (ie., i/o port plats) and finer threading for the drives.

You may or may not need the paper washers for the mobo mounting (most newer ones are designed not to need it).

THE heatsing/fan thing is a bit too random, some may or may not have any thermal materials applied to them, same as cpus. Although in terms of cpus, generally, intel ones do not come with them tacked on.

It is said you will always want a thermal compound between your cpu and hsf before you ever power it on.

Thermal paste/glue/pads can tend to be institutionalized ripoffs. Meaning if they are $5, they are more often than not $10. lol

have fun...and make sure to ground yourself. Go slow, and try not to get up and walk around a lot if you don't ground. I plan things out, get a large drink and sit there for a while...just to plan out layouts. I'm flexible enough that I can grab hold of the case with my foot while I work so I can ground that way or the more conventional wrist strap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom