Vista is probably not the best choice for us....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UA_Iron

Daemon Poster
I see a lot of threads where people say "wait for vista to get your parts..."

Has anyone read up on Windows Vista licensing agreements?

There was a couple threads on Tech-Forums regarding the issue, but I dont think the information made it to more than 20 people.

But I have yet to see anyone point out one significant change in retail licensing terms. Think you can transfer that retail license to any machine you want? Think again. In Section 2, "Installation and Use Rights," the text reads:

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device."

Sections 15 and 16, "Reassign to Another Device," and "Transfer to a Third Party," are new. You can go read the exact terms for yourself. The sort version is that you may "reassign the license to another device one time" or "make a one time transfer of the software, and this agreement, directly to a third party." [emphasis added]

That limitation on retail licenses is a remarkable change. Previously, a retail license could be removed from one computer and reinstalled on another with no limits. Now, you get to reinstall one time and one time only.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=156

Shell out a couple hundred bucks and only allowed one lifetime transfer? F that.

I'm not gonna change unless I have no more choice. XP PRO works just fine for me. and besides until ALL games REQUIRE dx10 and will not run on dx9 then I have to change...

Wait does this mean you can now install as many times as you want on one computer without getting yelled at or questioned by microsoft? Also does this mean you better get what you want in your computer for a long time if your getting vista? Sound's good for overclockers but bad for people who upgrade alot.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Wait does this mean you can now install as many times as you want on one computer without getting yelled at or questioned by microsoft?

No. You are able to do that with XP and all previous versions, but in Vista they are making one serial key usable for only two installs. IMO, i think it's a really bad move for Window. So many people will complain to them (myself included) because if i buy a new motherboard, i have to reinstall. If this would be my third install, the serial wouldn't work, forcing me to buy another copy (or moving to linux :D).

people will seek other alternatives to windows.

Linux versions have already been taking advantage of 64bit for a while

Well considering that some of the ideas that people thought about the Ivsta licensing are wrong it is no wonder why people are upset. Paul Thurott was actually right on this one.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing.asp

He talks about the EULA of both XP and Vista. IT is scary to believe that we use the Software wrong more than we know.

Makaveli213 said:
Well considering that some of the ideas that people thought about the Ivsta licensing are wrong it is no wonder why people are upset. Paul Thurott was actually right on this one.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing.asp

He talks about the EULA of both XP and Vista. IT is scary to believe that we use the Software wrong more than we know.

well I guess thats good news :)

I'm still upset though :mad:

I read Paul Thurott's article. Am I supposed to feel better? I refuse to accept the fact that I can't change my hardware as much as I want. Even if I never do it. Microsoft is taking away a right that is mine. I'm buying their software. Why should that be tied to the hardware I'm using? It's completely unacceptable! F*** micro$haft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom