installing programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I wanted to know, why with some programs you have to reboot your machine, and with some you do not need to do it.

usually has to do with if the program makes registry entries to keys that the operating system uses. mostly for microsoft installs of stuff like office or the OS or OS upgrades.

The registry is made up of 2 or more binary files which stores all the hardware and software installed on your PC. Most of the configuration settings used to tell your OS how to interact with a particular software/hardware are stored in what are called Keys (or subkeys).

It also includes critical information so that your OS knows how to boot up properly, where to access certain programs & files, and any modifications made to your OS.

i recently added a printer to my windows xp, it was instantly recognised, but i was not prompted to reboot my pc.

was the hardware change not added to the registry, or is it only components which are in the machine, (HDD, pci based stuff,agp card) which are registered?

rookie1010 said:
i recently added a printer to my windows xp, it was instantly recognised, but i was not prompted to reboot my pc.

was the hardware change not added to the registry, or is it only components which are in the machine, (HDD, pci based stuff,agp card) which are registered?

I'm willing to bet that the new printer you installed was a USB connection. One of the best features of the USB connection is that it doesn't require a reboot and it is designed to be that way. It doesn't mean that your registry was unaffected by it but that it was able to recognize what type of device you were trying to connect and instantly make the according changes to the registry. But yes as a general thumb, anytime you install an internal hardware component, you will have to reboot after you install the driver for it.

no, it was not a usb connection, it just went on the parallel port.(LPT1)
i don't understand how it was detected without a reboot.

Lone Wolf said:
I'm willing to bet that the new printer you installed was a USB connection. One of the best features of the USB connection is that it doesn't require a reboot and it is designed to be that way. It doesn't mean that your registry was unaffected by it but that it was able to recognize what type of device you were trying to connect and instantly make the according changes to the registry. But yes as a general thumb, anytime you install an internal hardware component, you will have to reboot after you install the driver for it.

plug and play, are you sure it was correctlyu installed on the parallel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom