overheating please read..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordmandell

Solid State Member
I downloaded the HDD Temperature Enterprise program to monitor my computer and I am getting a message saying my Hard Drive is near overheat(yellow exclamation point)What can I do to reduce the temperature?Is there a free download?

Take some compressed air and clean out the insides of your computer, make sure your fans can circulate properly. You may want to add an additional fan in your case if that doesn't work.

Could defragging my drive reduce the overheating at all?My computer just started shutting off on it's own last week.Will reformatting my hard drive correct the overheating?

ordmandell said:
Could defragging my drive reduce the overheating at all?My computer just started shutting off on it's own last week.Will reformatting my hard drive correct the overheating?

No, defragging will not help the heating issues, nor will the reformatting. Your drive is overheating most likely because of an extended use of the computer, with out shutting it down, hibernating, or putting it into standby mode. I agree with the extra fan, you will see a slight improvement of the temperatures with another fan, mounted to were it's cooling the drive. For a free solution, just turn off the computer for a few days, to let the drive cool, boot it up again, but EVERY NIGHT, that you have the chance, turn it off, hibernate, or put it into standby.

It gets rather frustrating.The pc won't even power on at all after it shuts down.I even unhooked the hard drive and still the pc won't even power on.Is there a faster way to cool down the hard drive until I can have repairs made to my computer?(ex: stick the hard drive in the fridge?lol)Why does it take forever until the computer finally boots again?Will someone please explain why the pc won't even start at all until I let it sit unplugged for 1/2 a day?

talldude123 said:
Just get a can of aroesal spray, and spray the computer like mad. Make sure all the dust is history.

Yes,this was explained to me as one of the options but I would like someon to eplain to me why my computer isn't even powering on at all unless I have it sit for a day now...

I do NOT undertand how a hard drive can stop my computer from even turning on at all.It just doesn't make any sense to me so will someone please explain it to me...

If the hard drive fails, you should still be able to boot from a USB stick or hard drive, or access the BIOS. You can't access Windows though.

ordmandell said:
Yes,this was explained to me as one of the options but I would like someon to eplain to me why my computer isn't even powering on at all unless I have it sit for a day now...

I do NOT undertand how a hard drive can stop my computer from even turning on at all.It just doesn't make any sense to me so will someone please explain it to me...

No you're right that doesn't make any sense, I'd look for another culprit. If the computer is refusing to power on fullstop then I'd look to the PSU.

I mean the green light on the motherboard is definately on so there is power to it(the motherboard),it's just not booting up at all.Right now the computer is working.I have it in standby mode because I don't wanna turn it off,hoping that will keep it running for me.A repair guy says it's probably the motor needs replacing but how much will that end up costing me?The one currently in my gateway pc runs at 115watts,if that helps anyone estimate a price for me.Thanks all for the help...

Here is the info on my pc I received from running a diagnostic...

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron,
2200 MHz (22 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel
Brownsville D845GBV / Brownsville 2 D845GEBV2 / Rexburg D845GRG / Rexburg 2
D845GERG2
Motherboard Chipset Intel
Brookdale-G i845GEV
System Memory 502 MB (PC2100
DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (06/10/04)
Communication Port Communications
Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer
Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4
MX 4000 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme
Graphics
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4
MX 4000
Monitor Gateway EV730
[17" CRT] (LIC32804794)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB
ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R)
82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Disk Drive WDC
WD400EB-11CPF0 (37 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD
GCC-4480B (DVD:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW
SOHR-5238S (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

*note*

If there is other info anyone needs plz just let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom