couple reformat questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy78951

Baseband Member
Question 1:

All i have is the original Windows install disk from Dell and its SP1 so when I reinstall Windows do I have to update SP1 than install sp2 or can I just download sp2 and update it?

Question 2:

After a fresh install of Windows when you log into a site Windows asks if you want Windows to save and ask for log in name and password again I said no because I thought it would remember for every site not just that one.Is there a way to get windows to ask that again so I don't have to type in all that info every time.

it should remember for every site...but I think there's the checkbox, that't the clincher.

just revisit the site? Or clear cache and repeat...remember to select checkbox, and of course read it to verify :)

jeremy78951 said:
Question 1:

All i have is the original Windows install disk from Dell and its SP1 so when I reinstall Windows do I have to update SP1 than install sp2 or can I just download sp2 and update it?

When installing, Windows will ask if you want to turn on Automatic Updates, make sure you turn on Automatic Updates while installing, it will update to SP2 as soon as the files have been downloaded.

The problem with turning on automatic updated is it downloads and installs 55-60 updates for service pack 1 and then istalls service pack 2.I am wondering if I can skip all that and go right to service pack 2

Windows doesnt even ask me anymore if I want to save the password That box doesnt even come up I was wondering if I can get it to come up again

With the updates It will only update what you need and with the password Box you must have checkes dont show this box anymore. When your on the site almost any site it will drop a cookie on your computer and will remember you.

If you haven't formatted yet, and you have a CD burner, you can slipstream your SP2 into a Windows XP installation disk.

Follow these steps to Slipstream SP2 to a new Windows XP CD.

1. First off, download SP2 from here.

Save it to a designated area. (C:\SP2)

2. Insert Windows XP CD to a CD Drive, and copy the contents to your harddrive. (C:\XP)

3. Make a new directory. (C:\SP2S)

4. Extract SP2 contents to your new directory.
A. Open Command Prompt. (Start --> Run --> CMD)
B. Type C: and Command Prompt will turn it into "C:\>"
C. Type CD SP2 and Command Prompt will turn it into "C:\SP2>
D. Now it's time to extract.
E. Type in WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe -x
F. A dialog box with appear, and then browse to the C:\SP2S folder
G. Type in C: then CD SP2S then CD I386 then CD UPDATE (You should now be in the C:\SP2F\i386\Update)
H. Now you have to type in update /s:c:\XP

5. The Windows Installation CD should now be updated and it's time to create a Bootable CD out of the C:\XP folder.

6. You will need a program able to create .ISO files. (MagicISO, PowerISO, UltraISO, Nero, Roxio) (With this tutorial I will be using MagicISO.)

7. Open MagicISO.
A. Locate your C:\XP Folder in Magic ISO
B. Drag and Drop the folder to make an ISO file.
Tutorial.jpg

C. Now it's time to save it as an .ISO file. File --> Save As --> (Name it what you want. I name mine Windows XP SP2)
D. Now it's time to burn the new Windows XP installation CD. File --> New --> CD/DVD Bootable Image.
E. Locate your .ISO file you just saved. (Windows XP SP2)
Tutorial-2.jpg

F. Once this is done, you're done, and now have a Windows XP installation with Service Pack 2 already installed without having to download it.

8. Time to format and reinstall Windows.

I DO NOT ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY OF MY SUGGESTIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom