Quick question about TV Tuner cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortThrow

Baseband Member
1. Does my computer have a slot for an additional card? (I assume it does:rolleyes: )

2. If I get a tv card and there is an additional slot for it, can I just plug a seperate monitor into it?

3. Does anyone recommend any good tuner cards?

To sum it up: I'm trying to get a tv set up in my bedroom(within my computer obviously). Ideally, I would get a tuner card and have TV on one monitor and my regular computer on another. What is the best way to accomplish this?

THanks guys

(Edit: this is my mobo (yes, I now it's a POS) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128262 )

Yes, you have room for a TV tuner, as long as you have an available PCI slot. I have heard good things about the Hauppage cards, although I haven't yet used one. I have an ATI 9800 All-in-Wonder in my back-up rig right now... it is wonderful, just set it up this week (have had it for 3 years too... lol)... and it's almost like TiVO

Do most tv tuner cards have an output for a monitor? If not, what do I need to do to make that work? Right now I only have one monitor output...

I'm not completely sure of how to get that working, I think having a dual monitor setup with only 1 monitor used for viewing TV.

I have an agp 4x/8x slot and 3 pci slots.

It seems like the best idea is to get a video card that I can hook two monitors to and then get a tuner card. That sound like it will work?

That's the way you can do it.

Some video cards provided tv tuners built it but it'd be a bit more expensive, and I never came across a video card that provided both dual screen compatibility AND a tv tuner.

So yeah, but first think where you install the graphics card, it's fan may cover up a pci slot like it did on me (><)

So you may want to look at the graphic card as two pci slots, unless the pci slot is all the way at the bottom of the board or the slots are seperated a good amount of distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom