surround sound audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiomflash

Baseband Member
I play all my music through my computer > through a receiver > through speakers. I would like to have the music come out all of my surround sound speakers, and my sound card supports 5.1 surround sound, but when I listen to music I still only get 2 channels. I think the problem would be caused by one of the following, but I thought it would be much easier to ask for some help than torture myself figuring this out.

- Audio software only puts out two channels.
- Sound card isn't sending out all channels.
- Audio card can only support 2 channels.
- Stereo input can only input 2 channels.

I don't really have a clue how the surround sound card work through al this. Any help please??? thanks!

keith

yes i did.
the software im usually using is rhapsody or winamp, for which i can find no way to control 5.1 settings, only mono or stereo.

yes, it does. and those are installed. they can let me select what kind of speakers i have connected, but that doesn't really do or tell me anything about what channels are actually there

Does your stereo reciever support 5.1 audio? I used to have an old stereo hooked up to my computer which had only Dolby Pro Logic and a "5.1" speaker setup but did not support an actual 5.1 output. The rear speakers acted as one and just produced really muffled echo-ey sounds.

the stereo definitely supports 5.1 audio, as this is what i use for watching movies. BUT i don't know if the stereo input supports 5.1 or only stereo. im not really sure how to find this out as i cant find any do***entation for my old receiver.

i am running a standard (green) headphone cable from my PC output into my stereo.

I think you would need multiple cables for 5.1 surround. My computer has three sound cables front/rear/center & subs from the sound card to the speakers. But this if for 5.1 computer speakers. Regular a/v cables would need a red/white right/left channel cable setup to get stereo.

flyboy.

do you know if the A/V (red/white) cables can carry front and rear. i assume they must, since surround sound DVD audio is carried to the receiver through only 2 cables.

i guess that kind of answers my question about 5.1 going through a headphone cord. it should be possible.

too much to stew on here...

It should, I'm no home audio expert, but I just know that a single cable from my stereo to my computer wasn't 5.1. Now I have A/V from my DVD player to my old stereo which still doesn't work to well (stereo's fault). For $5 you can get some A/V cables and try or see if you r sound card has a digital output and your reciever has digital input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom