Upgrade or Start Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Last thing, your pagefile could be corrupted or incorrect, so clear and reset your pagefile, this is probably your problem, if you have 2 or more hard drives pagefile SHOULD NOT be located on the same drive that contains windows & your apps & games."

What if you partion the harddrive and put the page file only in that partion?

If you have one hard drive with multiple partitions then the pagefile should be located on the first partition, since it is the fastest partition.

But in this case, he has two hard drives, so the preferable location for the pagefile is the drive without your windows installation and games, this reduces hard drive head movement, hence why I suspect his main problem.

I ran through all the items macdawg specified. Some I had already done.
compress hard drive already off, turned off disk indexing
services.msc is already disabled.
Both drives are set to optimal performance, but the buttons are grayed out and enable write cache is checked. I'm pretty sure from past experience this is due to the drives being scsi.
My paging file is set to 3715 and is on drive F:
Windows is on drive C:

I'd hate to scrap this system also. But when I look at the cost to upgrade this one vs the cost of another system, they equal out.
My thinking was that dual 2.4GHz processors should outperform or be in the ballpark of a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 or 3.0 GHz Pentium D.

Some of my applications are on drive C:
All my Adobe CS2 applications are on Drive F: because Drive C: did not have enough room.
All my Adobe scratch disks are set to drive F:

I will reset my pagefile over the weekend. Not at my system right now.

I pretty much use every graphics package on the market, which is why I ran out of room on Drive C: (3.6 GB free disk space)

let us know if the problem persists....if it doesn't wouldnt hurt to make sure your bios is up to date and the settings are correct, and chipset drivers are up to date.

For anyone still following this. My pagefile was on drive c: even though I had set it to my drive f: (didn't apply the change)
so I switched it.
The system is still ungodly slow and the drives constantly write. For example, I brought up a 63 meg InDesign file, clicked on one of the photos and moved it. It took 5 minutes for the screen to refresh - the whole time the hard drive sounds like it is rewriting every bit of data on it.

What I have found is :
My User profile is 560 MB.
My c: drive is seriously fragmented. I tried defrag but I still have 12,000 immovable fragments.
Anyone know of a defrag program that can defrag everything on the drive?
Had one years ago but that company was bought by Symantic and the program went away.

Unfortunately that would be a nightmare. I have done I don't know how many XP patches and upgrades that would have to be reinstalled after reinstalling my 3 year old XP disk.
Plus I have 14 graphics packages to reload. If I am going to start over, I might as well start from scratch with a new system.
I think the drives and the video card are my problems.
This system has drawbacks:
USB 1.1
No AGP or PCIe slots
No SATA support
The cost to upgrade the memory is almost as much as another system.

Thanks for the defrag program. I am going to try that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom