Bf2142 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitestick, it appears u know a fair bit about it, so here is my situation.

I have either 500-800$ for a brand new server.

OR

Im willing to sacrifice my older computer, the reason im putting a 6600GT in it is because i don't have any crudy crads other then that one.

Here is my questions

Please post a link to a 500-800$ server.
What is the minimum internet connection i need to run ONE bf2142 server.
If you can't gimi any one of the two above, then what do i need to make a dedicated server...useing my gaming computer...

i don't know about the internet requirements and i can't be certain of the hardware requirements either but it's my understanding that for most servers a processor only slightly over 1.0GHz will be able to run 64 person maps. however it does take a reasonable amount of memory. so your old computer is s939?

i would try and get a second hand s939 Opteron, a 165 should be enough :) or even a single core. so all you would need is more ram (i'm guessing) and the processor, plus the internet. the specs will vary on whether you use the dedicated server or the in game server. wait for someone elses opinion though. i don't trust me ;)

grab an opteron 165... 160 dollars on newegg.. very cheap dual core that oc's like crazy!!

get a copy of windows server edition... slap in 4 gigs and grab the 165... that would be a nice server

nice, opteron should pwn the server.. dunno if you really need 4 gigs.... could be helpful.. if you could get 2 gig sticks even better.. lol get 8 gigs total.. pwnage! i think server edition could hold a couple 100 gigs

Whats the upload on your connection, thats all that counts. I have a 15mb download/2mb upload and my friends usually get anywhere from 20-70 in cs:s when I host with a p4 3ghz and 1gb ram and they are anywhere from 2 to 400 miles away from me.

EDIT-My guess is if your upload is less than 5mb then dont even try or people will get high pings, especially in bf 2142. (pings for any battlefield game are always higher than normal.)

ya get the fastest internet service available to you. like t1 or higher, 2 gigs of ram should suffice for that. and there you go.

If he is going to really do this, hes going to be paying probably $100's for a internet connection that will help people get ultra low pings in bf 2142.

EDIT-Verizon has FIOS where I live but not available in my area yet. For a 30 mb download/5mb upload, it would cost 179.99 a month and thats without the setup and first time charge crap. Cant you just rent a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom