10/100 slowing me down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello All,

I'm running DSL Pro through AT&T/SBC Yahoo or whatever the heck they are now :) My network adapter is a 10/100 and I see a lot of ads with gigabit lan adapters. Would I see a difference in speed if I disabled my onboard 10/100 adapter and bought one of the gigabits? I recently was upgraded from standard DSL to the pro package and don't see any difference at all and thought maybe the nic card was holding me back.

i doubt you came close to using your 100mbps bandwidth provided by your current network adaptor. gigabit lan, as far as i know, is mostly beneficial within networks, where transfer speeds will exceed 100mbps.

internet connections rarely ever get close to 100mbps, only if you are on the backbone connection which SBC/yahoo is not. you are well within your bandwidth. although from what ive heard yahoo never runs at advertised speeds, it has alot of latency problems and dosent get up there.

My new PC has gigabit LAN. It goes the exact same speed as my old Celeron with 10/100, i can't tell any difference.

Thanks, all. Saved me a few bucks :)

I don't know what speed the modem is, I may call them and ask. I've had this modem for over 2 years. I'll have to see what the speed difference was supposed to be, I think they said 768 to 1 megabit?

shafra do a speed test and post the results you can search "modem speed test" should take you some where

i don't see a purpose to get gigabit if your a common user.

imo, gigabit right now is only needed for companies and lan parties.

even then, the pc doesn't need gigabit, just the servers/wires/routers/switches....etc... that can hold the amount of traffic coming though.

common high speed right now is what.....3Mbps? with 10Mbps for poeple hosting servers at home....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom