WIN 2000 setup gone bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
Hello, a friend of mine just built his new computer. He had everything he needed except the CPU ( he didn't have enough money to but the CPU). he got one from a friend, it is an amd 2100+ for free. he also got a mobo and the heatsink for it, all of it was free. he didn't need the mobo, so he just used his new one.

here are his specs
Biostar m7ncd - pro with an nforce 2 chipset
512mb of muskin pc2700
512mb of kbyte pc2700
A seagate 80gb HDD with 8mb buffer, 7200 rpm
Geforce 4 mx440 se
Amd 2100+ with heastsink.
DVD rom drive.
ok here is the problem.
We tried loading WINdows 2000 onto his HD. it freezes at the setup screen when it says starting windows now. it also does this with XP at the same spot (both were tried using NTFS). OH and windows 98 loaded with fat32 loaded fine. we switched motherboards and used an MSI board with a VIA chipset, and got the same problem. we switched the vid cards and got the same problem as well.
Finally, we took his HDD and put it in my computer. we loaded windows XP with no problems. the only thing different is the Mobo brands and the cpu and the ram. he tested each ram module and they worked. we then put the seagate back into his computer and started it up. we got to the screen where you can choose how tostart up the OS because there was a problem etc.
we chose safe mode, but it froze while loading the file mup.sys
we tried last known config that worked, and all we got was a black screen. then we gave up. we then took the HSF off and discovered that there was a black thermal pad on it (nasty gooey crap that wpuldn't come off) we got it off and applied some AS 5. as of now, we have nt tested it yet, because he had to leave.

what is really odd is that we used 2 differend chipsets and it still didn't work, until we used my setup. I think it may be a problem with the cpu, but it is hard to tell.

I had that problem, for me it was a cheap cd-rom drive corrupting the files. For others it was an option in their bios called "HDD block mode", try turning if off for the installation, then when everything is up and running you can turn it back on. I use the function with everything installed with no problems.

that was my friend, with the problem :) we might use my sony cd rom drive to install it if the hdd block doesnt work

ok we fixed it, we found the problem to be these two bios settings. we disabled the first one which disabled the second one.

APIC Function
This field is used to enable or disable the APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller). Due to compliance to PC2001 design guide, the system is able to run in APIC mode. Enabling APIC mode will expand available IRQs resources for the system. Settings: Enabled, Disabled.

MPS Table Version
This field allows you to select which MPS (Multi-Processor Specification) version to be used for the operating system. You need to select the MPS version supported by your operating system. To find out which version to use, consult the vendor of your operating system. Settings: 1.4, 1.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom