Dual Boot with Windows XP / xp media two seperate hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

petemanibusan

Beta member
I'm trying to utilyze two seperate hard drives so that I can seperate two users. This is a new 64, HP with XP Media as the operating system on a 200 gig drive.

First of all, when I went in to the BIOS to investigate how this new computer was set up I noticed that it recognized the hard drive (200 g) in channel c and in the "3rd" group. Shouldn't the primary IDE be on Channel A, and be recognized as the "0" representing that this is the master drive in this system. Furthermore the DVD was on Channel B and it was recognized as "0".

Needless to say, I was wondering what the jumper settings looked like on the hard drive, it was one of those new drives that I have never worked with. It had one plug on the left side of the drive, and it plugged in to the motherboard as a plug of some type, leaving the standard IDE Master plug on the motherboard empty. Is this part of that problem? Anyway, I plugged my 2nd hard drive in direct to the master drive and when I went in to the BIOS, the system was only recognizing the DVD player, and it showed neither hard drive. When I plugged the (2nd) hard drive in to the straps with the DVD, than the BIOS recognized both drives and the DVD, however the DVD was once again in the "0" IDE Master position, the 2nd drive that I wanted to add was recognized in the "group B" Channel B, and the original real master drive was recognized in Group C, Channel B, position "1".

I felt that even though the system recognized both hard drives, because of the positioning "Primary" or "slave", and the DVD being represented as the main drive, I knew that it was incorrect, however, I went ahead and ran the Windows XP Home, and I selected the 30 gig drive to which I was trying to add to the system, however the XP Home wrote over both disks, and installed the XP Home operating system on both drives. Nightmare!

Help me out.

Pete Manibusan

i have a sata drive and a 20gb IDE drive on my computer, both set with jumpers at primary. When i installed vista (since i didn't have 2 drives when i installed XP) i gave me an option to put the operating system on the IDE 20gb drive OR the 120gb 1st partition OR the 80gb second partition.

I think you either messed up somewhere in the settings installing XP or it didn't have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom