Vista gaming 10 to 15 percent slower then XP....

Status
Not open for further replies.
hillbillybob said:
Wasn't that because games no longer came out capeable or supporting Win 98?

meh, either way, Vista does have a tremendously higher sys. requirements than Win XP did when it first came out. I say this because I can honestly say that Win XP would run on a P II. not to shabby, as long as no more than two windows were open. Still, and I could be mistaken, it seems that there is quite a jump in the system needed to run Vista over the system needed to run Win XP.

I believe you can disable themes and services in xp to make its resource usage as light as windows server, plus be guaranteed support for games and your peripherals, based on my reading from here http://home.triad.rr.com/faq/WNS2003 FAQ.htm#q10

XP tweakguides are usually about lowering resource usage, and in my experience in xp is that it makes things much faster, I used to use about 170 mb ram on startup and now am using 90mb, feels very fast.

Since Vistas memory management is totally different, it is fair to say its a resource hog, but not fair to say its slower. Vista very well might 'feel' faster with 600 mb ram on startup than with 350 mb ram on startup, which clearly in XP is not the case, due to different memory management.

good stuff, this is the guide I used to get to about 90mb ram on startup, would probably be closer to 50-60 mb ram on startup if I used integrated audio & video but that'd kinda defeat the purpose of speed, lol. If you know what to do you can make XP a very lightweight OS.

www.tweakguides.com

F.E.A.R. on my laptop with XP on it - 55fps
F.E.A.R. on my laptop with Vista on it - 28fps

It was playable in XP with medium settings at 1440x900, but when I installed Vista it was so much slower. That is with my Core Duo 2.16Ghz and x1600 256mb ... MacBook Pro.

interesting comparison.

I suppose either the Crysis guy is overhyping Vista for microsoft or what he is saying is correct and Crysis is coded effectively for Vista, which FEAR is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom